Is a Hard Bump After Rhinoplasty Normal?

I had rhinoplasty a week and a half ago to repair my septum, shorten the length of my nose, a bump and shorten the under hang of my nose. I had almost no bruising after surgery but when my cast was taken off three days ago I noticed my nose was horribly swollen in the tip and in my profile. The swelling in the tip has begun to go down but the bump still remains. My nose is still very numb but if I touch the bump area it feels tender to the touch and hard. Is this normal, will it go down?

Hard Bump After Rhinoplasty May Be Bone

+3

Thank you for your question. As others have stated it is very hard to tell if this is a problem this early.

I have found that massage of the bump may help. However you need to see your surgeon and ask if massage is OK.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-rhinoplasty-nose-surgery/

Hard bump after Rhinoplasty, is this normal?

+1

It's difficult to say.  Certainly bumps and lumps can and do occur after Rhinoplasty.  these tend to be temporary but without knowing what your nose looked like pre-op and what was doen to your nose during your Rhinoplasty, there's simply no way for me to know.  You'll need to have this discussion with your Rhinoplasty surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Pre and Post surgical planning for Rhinoplasty

+1

Numbness of the tip of your nose is universally seen in rhinoplasty. It clears in two months.  No residual numbness is expected.  For the bump on your nose, this is not uncommon even if the bone beneath has been reduced.   The skin is expected to settle down within the next 4-5 weeks. 

Most plastic surgeons use a series of digital nose images which define your existing nose anatomy, The surgeon then modifies the images with computer software to reflect your selection of the nose which you find attractive.  This is the image to which you can hold your surgeon accountable.   The difference between the computer image and your post surgical images should be very close the same anatomy.

Bump after rhinoplasty

+1

You are in the early post operative period where swelling is normal.  Without examining you I am unable to determine if this is edema or residual dorsal hump.  Discuss this with your surgeon.  Either way you need to give it time to allow the tissue to settle before any revision if needed.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Post operative expectations after rhinoplasty

+1

It is hard to determine the extent of swelling since there is no preoperative photo to compare, but from this view the swelling looks normal to me in the tip. Open rhinoplasties (ones with an external incision on the columella -the bridge of skin under the nose  separating the nostrils) give greater exposure but causes more swelling in the tip, and for a longer period of time.

The bump is visible and is either an incomplete removal of the bump that was there preoperatively or a collection of blood (hematoma) or excessive swelling in that area for some reason. Swelling is usually more widely distributed so I am guessing that the bump is one of the first two options. incomplete hump reduction would feel hard like bone and a hematoma would be tender and firm, but should not feel as hard as bone. 

I recommend staying patient and let the swelling subside. It will very evident with time. I would absolutely return to your surgeon to get their opinion as small hematomas can be drained early on in the process but they can also go away with time.