Is It Possible To Have The Bump Removed On My Nose Without Altering The Tip?

I dislike my nose very much and think that it is quite long and that it doesnt fit well with my face. I have a small bump on my nose that I would like to get rid of without the touching of the tip of my nose. Do you think that this would make my nose appear less long and more attractive or would I have to get a full nose surgery done? Thanks in advance.

Reducing the dorsal hump may make the nose look longer

+2

Hello Aylin,

Thank you for the question and the great photos.  A closed reduction approach to remove the hump on the dorsum (bridge) of your nose can be performed.  The actual length of your nose will not be changed because of this and I suspect the perceived length of your nose will actually look longer after a dorsal hump reduction alone.  I think a columellar strut (piece of cartilage used to support the tip) will also be needed to rotate the tip higher and "shorten" the nose.

Dr. Remus Repta

Removing a hump on the top of the nose can have no visible scars and takes less surgery than you think!

+2

Nose hump reduction is a common procedure that can be very successful. With small humps, "shaving" with a rasp can easily do the trick. For moderate (such as yours) to large hump reductions, simply removing the hump creates what is called an "open roof deformity". To prevent this from happening, "osteotomies and infracture" are usually recommended. This means that the thin nasal bones just below the bridge of your nose are carefully fractured (broken) and then reset inward in order to close the opening created by the hump reduction. I recommend "closed" rhinoplasty, meaning that the incisions are all hidden on the inside of the nostrils ("open" rhinoplasty means that there is a scar on the skin bridge between the nostrils). I have a set of patient photos that show the results of these procedures (web link below). In experienced hands, you will have an excellent result but be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!  

Ariel N. Rad, MD, PhD

It is usually best to address the entire face - not just the bump of the nose

+2

The best rhinoplasties focus on the entire face - not just the nose - and not just the bump. Based on your photos (which are excellent, by the way!) I agree with several of the previous surgeons. "Removing the bump" without any shortening of the tip would leave you disproportionate. Discuss your plans with a competent facial plastic surgeon - use computer imaging to review your choices - and keep your mind open to tip surgery to achieve a lifelong satisfying result.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, of course the bump can be removed during rhinoplasty

+2

The nasal bridge, or dorsum, can be reduced without affecting the nasal tip. In this instance I often prefer to do reduce the "hump" through and intranasal or inside the nose approach. This creates no scar in the nasal skin, can be done in the office under sedation, and does not interfere with the shape or support of the tip.

Hope that helps!

Michael Godin, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty surgery for bump removal may be done with or without tip work

+1

The general size and shape of your nose is nice. Lowering the bump seen at the dorsum would soften your look and make your nose more effeminate.  This may be accomplished without major changes to the nasal tip, which in your case, I agree, is already very nice.

The caveat is that when the bump is lowered, small changes may have to made to the tip to keep the same relationship that your tip has to the rest of your nose.  In other words, when the bridge is lowered, it may be necessary to modify the tip so they are still in harmony.

The important thing is to keep your tip more prominent than the supratip area. I have attached a video response that   demonstrates the tip-supratip relationship.

Good luck in your search for information! 

David Mabrie, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump removal without altering nose tip

+1

There are few instances when a hump removal can be done without adjusting nasal the tip.  The hump is composed of both bone and cartilage and is removed.  Once the hump is removed the sidewalls of the nose will need to be narrowed through osteotomies.  At that point, if the tip is in balance with the new bridge, then the tip is not altered.  

Removing the bump without touching the tip...

+1

Removing the bump on your nose without touching the tip is possible and will make it more attractive. However, if your looking to shorten the length, surgery on the tip will be required.  The bump is actually lessening the appearance of length, and removing it may make it appear longer.  The most important thing about rhinoplasty surgery is good communication of your desires with the surgeon so make an appointment with a board certified plastic or facial plastic surgeon to discuss your best options.  Best of luck.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

A good Rhinoplasty is designed to deliver a balanced nose

+1

Short answer to your question is: Yes, it is possible to just remove nasal bridge without touching nasal tip.

Long answer to same question is: It is unwise to tie your surgeon's hand. If just the bridge is done your nose will look out of balance.  It will not look good. You need nasal bridge brought down.  Nasal tip needs to be made less bulky and delicate, nasal tip needs to rotate up, and angulation between nose and upper lip needs to be modified.

You have all the ingredients of a really beautiful nose. These ingredients just need to polished and sculpted. Do not short change yourself.  Have a complete nose job.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Removal of dorsal hump with closed technique

+1

The dorsal hump can be removed without altering the tip. I would approach your rhinoplasty with a "closed technique," meaning no incisions on the outside of your nose. Through this approach, not only can the hump be removed, but other aspects of your nose can be reshaped. This is all demonstrated on our imaging software prior to surgery so that the patient is able to visualize how this changes their appearance.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Is it possible to remove the bump without aletering the tip?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and Yes, the bump can be removed, during a Rhinoplasty, without altering the shape of the nasal tip.  You just need to communicate this desire to your Rhinoplasty surgeon.