How Soon Can I Swim After BA? Is 3 Wks Enough Time?

I have a BA scheduled for June 27 and a vacation planned on July 19th. I am worried that this will not be enough time to heal properly and have a good time. I have asked my PS and she assured me that it would be fine but Im still a little sceptical. Can anyone share their thoughts or expertise with me? I dont have anything straneous planned during my vacation but I do plan to be in pools a lot.

Swimming after Surgery

+2

Although surgeons’ guidelines differ, I recommend that my breast augmentation patients avoid exercising for 4 weeks after surgery (including swimming) and also avoid submerging their incisions until they are fully healed. It can take 4-8 weeks for incisions to heal over (lose the scabs) and during this time the area may be more susceptible to infections. It is important to keep the incision areas as clean as possible during the healing process to ensure no adverse conditions from developing. I usually ask my patients to hold off on swimming or spa use until I can assess the incision area(s) to be sure that they have healed appropriately. Be sure to check with your surgeon for his or her guidelines on swimming after your procedure.

Swimming after breast augmentation

+1
It is wise to wait at least three weeks after your surgery before you go swimming. At that time, the incision will be healed enough so that water won’t penetrate it and possibly cause an infection.

Ted Eisenberg, DO
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

+1
At 3 weeks after your surgery, you should be okay to go underwater, but don't go overboard (no pun intended). You should not strain yourself while swimming, as this can compromise your recovery. However, this is only if your surgeon says it's okay and your recovery has been going well. Please ask your surgeon for their advice. 

Regardles, however, please make sure you cover up your incisions from sun exposure, as not doing so can make your scars much more noticeable.  

Jerome Edelstein, MD

How soon an I swim after breast augmentation? Is 3 weeks enough time?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! On average, a period of approximately 3-4 weeks on average is typical. Submerging in stagnant water, be it bathtubs, jacuzzis, pools, lakes, oceans, etc. can certainly increase your chance for infections. I usually await the incisions to be fully healed prior to allowing for this type of activity. If you do have any wound issues or delayed healing, expect that you will be restricted from doing such things. However, I allow my patients to shower and clean incisions at 3 days postoperative. Regardless, the answer will vary amongst plastic surgeons and you should discuss this with your surgeon and follow his/her instructions. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Swimming OK 3 weeks after breast augmentation

+1

Depending on your postoperative recovery, three weeks is typical before my patients are allowed to be in the pool or ocean.  That does not include any strenous laps, but merely being in the water.  Six weeks is typically recommended before engaging in more strenuous activities with your upper body.  So if you're just planning on looking good by the pool on vacay at 3 weeks, I think it's reasonable.  However, it's always a good idea to confirm with your surgeon prior to engaging in these activities.

Samuel Sohn, MD

Swimming after breast augmentation

+1

Every surgeon is going to have a slightly different perspective on this question. Everyone would agree that you should wait until the incisions are healed. The debate is when is the incision really healed. If you heal normally, I would suggest that the epithelialization process that makes your skin waterproof should be well established at the 3 week time frame. But the tensile strength of the incision is not optimized for much longer. You should still restrict your upper body activity for up to 6 weeks. But, I would feel comfortable with you just being in water at 3 weeks if you heal normally. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Swimming After Breast Augmentation

+1

Every patient is different and if no complications were to happen after your surgery assuming a standard healing process, you should be able to enjoy swimming in pools after a month or so.

Make sure not to expose your scars to the sun as they will get dark and stay as such for good.

Discussing your recovery progress with your surgeon is essential as he/she will be able to grant you the approval to practice your activities during your upcoming vacation.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Enjoy you vacation.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation, How Soon Can I Swim?

+1

In our office we typically recommend waiting at least 4 weeks before going swimming after breast augmentation.  However, the exact timing may vary somewhat depending on the technique used and your  surgeon's preferences.  May surgeons feel that three weeks is sufficient, and I would follow your surgeon's recommendations, who knows you best.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Swimming after breast augmentation / Nadar despues de aumento de senos

+1

You can go swimming after your incisions are completly healed from your surgery.  This is a question being based in Miami I get a lot.  As long as everything is healed from your breast aug and you feel ok, 3-4 weeks should be ok. No, this doesn't mean you can go scuba diving, or spear fishing, etc.  Use common sense and make sure that your board certified surgeon agrees.  Also keep the scars out of the sun.

Good luck with your surgery and enjoy your vacation!

Usted puede nadar despues que sus incisiones esten completamente cerradas. Esta es una pregunta que estando en Miami, muchos pacientes la hacen. Desde que todo este sanado y usted se sienta bien 3/4 es lo indicado. Esto no que quiere decir que usted pueda bucear o hacer pesca submarina, etc. Use sentido comun y asegurese de que su cirujano certificado este de acuerdo. Ademas mantega las cicatrizes fuera del sol.

Suerte en su cirugia y disfrute las vacaciones!

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Breast augmentation and swimming

+1

I usually have patients limit their exertional activity for at least 3-4 weeks to minimize the risk of a delayed hematoma.  If the incisions are not well healed, the water can irritate the closure.