Tenting 2 Weeks After Symmastia Repair? (photo)

I am two weeks PO after a symmastia repair & wanted to know if tenting is normal and will it go away in time? My PS did not supply me with a thong bra but only a compression bra and though my cleavage looks much better post operatively, I do still have tenting of the skin which he notes may never dissapear. This obviously causes a huge concern to me as I thought the repair would allow the skin between my breasts to lay flat. Please see photos below and let me know your thoughts.

Breast Augment

+1

It would be helpful to know how the repair was done, if it was done securely on the inside the bra may not be necessary but other types of repair may require the bra, see your PS and stress your concern

Tenting after symmastia repair

+1

I do not think that it is too late to obtain a sternal compression bra which I would highly recommend. There will be some loss of swelling over the next several months which will also help. I would ask your surgeon if he can get you a sternal compression bra or order one for yourself. There are many designers that make these bras. I have been happy with Design Veronique's bra. It is a bit expensive, but in your case, likely worth it. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Skin Tenting After Symmastia Repair Surgery

+1

Dear Junespirit,

Thank you for sharing your photos.

Sking tenting tend to happen with symmastia repair surgeries and wearing a "thong bra" is often helpful.

However, without knowing the details of your surgery I encourage you to communicate with your surgeon as he/she can best advise you of how to address your issue and correct it.

Best of luck to you and thank you for your question.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Symmastia and skin tenting

+1

Symmastia can be very difficult to treat.  A thong bra can help once the repair is performed.  It is best to follow closely with your surgeon.

Tenting after Symmastia Repair

+1

Thank you for your question and pictures.

Because your surgeon knows you best and wants the best for your recovery, you should discuss things thoroughly with him/her.  Ask him/her about the thong bra and see what they recommend.

I also inform patients who are undergoing symmastia repair that although the symmastia may be improved, the tenting in the cleavage area may still exist.  There is no good way to "tack down" the skin.  Sometimes, as times goes on, the skin will re-adhere and sometimes the tenting does not go away.

I ask my patients to wear the thong bra for months and to minimize the arm movements, heavy lifting, etc..