How Much Swelling is Present 3 Weeks Post Op After Breast Implants?

How much bruising should be visible about 3 weeks after Breast Implants? Does the bruising typically turn brown and yellow by then and start to fade?

Recovery From Breast Augmnetation

+2

Bruising and swelling are to be expected after breast implant surgery.  Only a lucky few get away with no signs of the procedure.  The swelling is mostly gone by one month but occasionally some small amount of swelling may persist for 2-4 months.  Bruising is blood in the tissues.  A small amount of bruising is normal.  A large amount could signal a bleeding problem your surgeon would need to check.  As the blood breaks down to be absorbed, it changes from puple to green to yellow.

Breast Augmentation Swelling/Bruising?

+1

Thank you for the question. It is difficult to generalize because every patient's recovery is different after breast  augmentation surgery.  For most patients, the majority of swelling is gone at the one-month post-op mark. The majority of the bruising is gone within the first 2 weeks.  The last stage of bruising will be a yellowish color.

Again, please remember that every patient's recovery is different.

Post breast implant swelling at 3 weeks

+1

As a rule of thumb, I advise my patients that 80% of swelling and bruising is cleared in the first two weeks after the procedure.  The final 20% of residual swelling takes 2 to 3 months or more to clear depending on your age and general health.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon