When Can I Go on a Sunbed After a Breast Implant?

i have recently had a inner thigh lift and breast enlargement im going on holiday in november but i want to go on a sunbed

Sunbed after breast augmentation

+1

As a plastic surgeon who treats skin cancer on a daily basis, my answer is that no exposure, whether artificial or natural sun, is a good thing. If you are inquiring as to when a surgical scar can be exposed to sun in the postop period, i caution for use of sunscreen during the entire year after any surgery.

Tanning After Breast Augmentation

+1

There are few things that a group of plastic surgeons will agree on completely, but tanning is one of them.Ultraviolet light, either natural or electrical is really bad for your skin.  Not only is there risk of skin cancer, it destroys elastic fibers in your skin and ages it prematurely. Your skin will be more likely to sag and have a dry possibly leathery quality. The few days of pink to brown colour quicly change to yellow and green.  Try some of the new spray on tans if you like the sun worshiper look.  Enjoy your trip!

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Sunbed or real sun--ultraviolet energy (regardless of source) is bad in general, and can make your scars turn brown permanently!

+1

Until your scars have fully matured (6-12 months), any form of ultraviolet energy can turn scars brown (and unlike tanned skin, this brown scar discoloration does NOT fade over time).

I know you don't want to burn on holiday, but tanning before you go is a bit like taking small doses of rat poison daily so when you take a big dose of rat poison it won't kill you! Ultraviolet energy causes skin cancer, wrinkles, and causes the pigmentation issues with "not-yet-mature" scars discussed above.

Don't get me wrong--I like the "bronzed beauty" look as much as you do, but the way to do this SAFELY is with mist or spray tans that give you the color you want, and then the highest SPF sunblock that you can find that your skin tolerates.

That way you can not only have that beautiful "tanned look," but you will protect your skin (and your scars) from the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation! And not just on vacation, but always. You will thank me for this advice in another decade or two!

(BTW, I know you need sun for Vitamin D synthesis; 15 minutes a day is sufficient for all the Vitamin D you need. Or, you can just take a daily multi-vitamin or drink a glass of milk, which has Vitamin D included!)

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sunbed After Plastic Surgery

+1

I doubt you will like my answer  but asking when you can expose yourself to potentially skin cancer causing ultraviolet light is like asking a physician when you can resume smoking.  The answer to both in my opinion would be:  never.

Otherwise, you may have to run the question by your plastic surgeon who may feel otherwise.