What Are Things I Should Be Doing to Prepare for Breast Implant Surgery?

What do most surgeons advise patients to do say a week or two before an augmentation? Ex: Don't eat this don't wear that. I've always just been curious. Thank you!

Preparation for breast implant surgery

+5

A well prepared patient before surgery will make the recovery much quicker, easier and safer.  I like to use the old boy scout motto ALWAYS BE PREPARED.  Here are some tips to ready yourself for implant surgery:

• Stay off of all medications that thin your blood for 2 weeks prior to surgery (i.e., aspirin, Motrin, Advil, Alleve, ibuprofen, naprosyn, Anacin, Bufferin, etc.) and 2 days after surgery.
  • Arrange for transportation to and from the surgical facility.
  • Arrange for a responsible adult to be with you the day of surgery.
  • Fill all your prescriptions in advance and bring your pain pills with you to the surgery center.
  • Take an oral antibiotic the day before surgery, if recommended by your doctor.
  • Review and confirm with your doctor the choices you have made for your procedure regarding size of implants, type of implant, incision choice and location of implant.
  • Ice bags to breasts for 48 hours after surgery helps to reduce swelling and pain--arrange to have ice bags, gel packs or frozen vegetables ready for immediate placement after the procedure.
  • Review protocol with your doctor on how to prevent thrombophlebitiis (DVT) in the post op period
  • Most doctors provide post op bras, if not, you may need to purchase a post op bra.
  • Report any sign of a cold or an infection immediately to the doctor
  • Take a shower the night before surgery and the day of surgery and use a special surgical soap called Hibiclens, this can be provided by your doctor or purchased at a pharmacy.
  • Wear comfortable, loose fitting clothes that do not have to be put on over your head the day of surgery.
  • Remove all earrings and body piercings the day of surgery, remove all make up.
  • Do not eat or drink any food or water after midnight on the night before surgery.
  • Leave all your valuables and jewelry at home the day of surgery.
  • If there is any chance of pregnancy, perform a home pregnancy test and bring the results into the surgery center the day of surgery.
  • If you are experiencing your period, use an external sanitary napkin, tampons can cause toxic shock syndrome and need to be removed before surgery

I hope these tips help you through your procedure, good luck!

Web reference: http://www.bodybyfinkle.com

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for breast augmentation surgery

+3

Some common advice patients are given prior to surgery include  avoidance of aspirin/anti-inflammatories or other medications that may increase the risk of bleeding,  avoid nicotine products, and avoid piercings/jewelry/antiperspirants the day of surgery.  We ask patients  to bring loosefitting, zip up clothing  to the surgery center  the morning  of surgery.

A few other general words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastaugmentation.htmS

+1

In my private practice at 2 weeks prior to surgery we have an in person visit to sign and give detailed pre operative and postoperative instructions - IN WRITTEN FORMS. Also I meet with these patients to answer ALL questions and concerns, sign consent, review labs, etc. Best of luck 

Preparation for breast augmentation

+1
Unexpected pregnancy is very common in my practice after augmentation mammaplasty, so consider and prepare, or prevent as you wish. Not much else.... If you smoke, you should have stopped completely by three weeks before.

Web reference: http://feelbeautiful.com

Preparing for surgery

+1

Before any surgery, there are a lot of over-the-counter, prescription and herbal medications to avoid, especially aspirin products. One should refrain from alcohol within 24 hours of surgery and limit nicotine use. Make sure you are well informed about what to expect before and after your surgery from your physician.

Preparation before breast implant surgery

+1

It is very important to be off any blood thinners for 2 weeks prior to surgery.  These include aspirin, motrin, ibuprofen, aleve, and many other medications.  Also to avoid supplements that may thin the blood such as fish oil, vitamin E and a number of herbal medications such as garlic and ginsent.  Our office gives our patients a list at the pre-op visit. A regular multivitamin and Vitamin C are encouraged.   You want to be in optimal health before any elective surgery.  If you smoke, it is optimal to quit as soon as possible or 6 weeks prior to surgery, to decrease the risk of healing problems or infection.  

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

ADVICE BEFORE BREAST AUGMENTATION

+1

My office provides our patients with a list of medications to avoid 10-14 days prior to surgery.  Most of the medications on this list are associated with an increase risk of bleeding.  I also provide a list of vitamins and herbal supplements that may assist in healing.  These products are started about 1 week prior to surgery.  There are no restrictions pertaining to exercise or clothing.  On the day of surgery loose fitting clothing and a buttoned blouse not a pull over is preferrable.

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon