Is There Still Swelling 7 Months After a Rhinoplasty?

I had an open Rhinoplasty 7 months ago and my tip is still rather large for my taste. I talked with my surgeon about it and he injected a small dose of steroid in my tip and told me to be patient.

I worry that I might have developed too much scar tissue because my skin is thick. Does it go away with time, and will my nose improve in defintion/contour this late in the game? One side feels "puffier" more swollen than the other side of my tip. The skin can be compressed when I lighly touch it!

Thick skin

+3

Swelling in thick skinned patients can take a long time to completely resolve. I have even seen patients show improvement up to two years after the procedure. Be patient. If you have a good underlying structure the "puffy" skin will hopefully continue to shrink to fit it.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

Unfortunately, your particular situation requires a lot of patience. I tell all of my thick-skinned rhinoplasty patients that they should expect at least one year before the majority of swelling has resolved. Many of them will notice a difference even after two or three years. The problem is that many surgeons do not adequately prepare their patients for this extended healing period. The great news for you is that there is still refinement to occur; it just takes patience.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tip swelling after Rhinoplasty.

+2

At 7 months post Open Rhinoplasty, the nasal tip should be getting softer with decreasing swelling although some residual firmness and swelling can still persisit up to a full year after the Rhinoplasty.  Scar tissue will not compress, so it's a good sign your fullness still does.  Kenalog 10 shots may be an answer to further decrease swelling and prevent scar tissue formation...ask your Rhinoplasty surgeon for advice.

Swelling 7 Months after Rhinoplasty

+2

After rhinoplasty, resolution of tip swelling in thick skinned patients will take a lot longer than 7 months . As your surgeon has suggested, be patient - wait another 6-12 months to critique your result.

Nose swelling after rhinoplasty

+2

You have really answered your own question. In thick skin individuals, nasal swelling can take upwards of 18 months to resolve. Be patient and your nose will continue to improve.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Tip swelling takes time to resolve

+1
After rhinoplasty, tip shape is typically the last thing to settle before seeing the final result; this can take 12 months or longer. During this time you will notice that the size of your tip decreases as swelling resolves and subtle details and tip definition appear.

Although at 7 months following rhinoplasty, you are seeing many of the changes resulting from surgery, the tip can still be quite swollen and this is typically exaggerated in the thick skinned patients. Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles.

Steroid injections can help reduce excessive and protracted swelling secondary to scarring. However, steroids should be used judiciously as they can have some deleterious side effects.

Jamil Ahmad, MD

Swelling in nose after seven months

+1

Actually when we consider rhinoplasty over decades, there is little evidence of scar tissue as the cause of  thickened nasal shape, and there are few procedures in revision rhinoplasty which remove scar tissue. Years after all tissues in the nose thin and are pliable and soft, except when supported of stiffed by the natural cartilage or grafts placed to support the shape. Thick skin can take up to a year. It is best to wait out full healing, avoid the steroids and consider a revision if your result falls short of expectation.

peterejohnsonmd

Swelling after rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

Swelling after rhinoplasty (nasal surgery) can occur up to one year after surgery.  In thick skinned patients this may take even longer to settle.  Patience is key and it seems your physician is trying to get things to settle more quickly with steroid injection.  Good luck. 

Etai Funk, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

The swelling after rhinoplasty can take up to 12-15 months to resolve.  There is typically dramatic improvement in the first 3-6 months followed by slow improvement over the next 6-9 months.  The waiting can be difficult, but try to be patient.

Good luck!

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon