When Can I Stop Worrying About Something Going Wrong After my Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I had rhinoplasty/septoplasty done about 2 months ago. I am so worried about hurting my result, or something going wrong. I think the reason I am so worried, is my surgeon told me on 2 different occasions, that he did not have to break my bones to do what I wanted done. After the procedure I found out he did perform breaks. I am very worried about shifting/twisting. How long after surgery do I have to wait to feel confident in my result?

Nose Stability after Rhinoplasty Surgery

Your nose is reasonably stable after 2 months from your rhinoplasty for routine daily activities, including contact sports. It would require a fairly strong force to break, twist, or shift your nose at that time. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reasonable Precaution

You should exercise reasonable precaution against excessive trauma. For example, avoid contact sports; however, the bone should be healed at 2 months.

Elliot M. Heller, MD

CAN NOSE SHIFT AFTER SURGERY ( 2 MONTHS )?

Quit worrying.  Your nose is healed rock solid.  You will not hurt it period.  You are making up nonsense to worry about.  At 3 weeks I let my patients go full speed.  Tennis,  basketball etc etc...   You nose is the rock of Gilraltar!

Stop worrying, you won't hurt your result

Nasal bones and nasal cartilage are healed and stable by six weeks following rhinoplasty.  At two months you do not need to worry about damaging your result.  Though there may still be some swelling and some improvement in the appearance of your nose over the  next 6-12 months, the bones are well-healed by now.  You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon. 

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Worring about Problems 2 Months after rhinoplasty

Your nasal bones are stable 2 months after rhinoplasty. It would take major trauma to cause problems - a force that would break one's nose, even if they didn't have surgery. Stop worrying and enjoy your new nose.

Nasal bones are healed 4 weeks following rhinoplasty

Nasal bones are healed 3-4 weeks following rhinoplasty. You can resume your normal physical activities at this point with the caveat that the nasal bones are prominent and delicate meaning that you have the same risk you did before of sustaining a nasal fracture if your nose is traumatized. No less and no greater than before surgery so feel free to get back out there and enjoy life.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty healing

At 2 months the bones should be stable and you shouldn't have to worry about doing any damage to them.

David E. Kim, MD

Healing After Rhinoplasty

By two months after Rhinoplasty the bones should be stable but the surrounding tissues still have some swelling that will resolve over the next 10-12 months or so.  In other words, enjoy life the result may only get better with time...

Ryan Stanton, MD

2 months post-rhinoplasty

At two months post-rhinoplasty, I think that you can stop worrying too much about damaging the results from routine acitvity. Sure, if you take a "hit" to the nose like anyone else, it could injure you.

Rhinoplasty and post operative care

You can stop worrying, at 2 months post rhinoplasty your nasal bones should be well healed and should not shift or change position.  You will still have some minimal swelling which will resolve over the next few months but the overall shape of the nose will not change.   You can relax.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon