Swelling from Closed Rhinoplasty

I had a closed rinoplasty six days ago. There has been no bruising, however my face is pretty chipmunk-like and the tip of my nose is numb. My cast comes off on wed. Right now my tip is much bigger and more bulbous than my previous nose, and I am worried. I had a bump but other than that it was a slender nose. Is this normal in a closed procedure? Will it shrink in size? My swelling has been quite minimal on my face.

Numbness after rhinoplasty

+1
In general, almost all noses are numb right after a rhinoplasty. In most cases its the tip that is numb, but this numbness can extend down to the upper lip, and in rare cases some of the teeth. There are nerves that are cut and stretched during a rhinoplasty, and it takes a long time for those nerves to start working again. This is true of an open as well as closed rhinoplasty, although it tends to be more extensive in open rhinoplasty. This could also be more extensive if a septoplasty is performed at the same time. A revision rhinoplasty is a much harder surgery with a lot of internal scarring to cut through. This can also be a reason for prolonged numbness. This, along with the swelling, gives you a stiff, plastic type feel, and can give you an odd smile. However, the nerves will start working and again, and your nose stiffness will go away with time. As the nerves grow back, you may feel some tingling, itchiness and on occasion pain. This takes in most cases months, but can take years in rare cases. Extremely rarely, the numbness is permanent, although I have never seen such as case.
Best Wishes,
Pablo Prichard, MD

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Swelling, deformity after nasal surgery

+1

This all sounds very normal, as depending on what was done, there might be a fair amount of tissue settling and rearrangement that needs to occur before you have the "final" result you want. I always tell patients that it takes 6-12 months for the tissues to really settle in, and because rhinoplasty is generally considered the most difficult of all plastic surgery procedures, because of it unpredictability, you might need a minor revision. Though it is unlikely, I try ot prepare my patients for reasonable eventualities so that they are not "blindsided" so to speak.

Srdjan Ostric, MD

Swelling and Numbness After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Chicago,
Since you had a rhinoplasty six days ago, swelling and numbness is a normal post rhinoplasty phenomena. It will all resolve with time. After rhinoplasty many patients experience post operative anxiety with usual swelling, and numbness.  What you're experiencing is normal. Talk to your surgeon

Kevin Sadati, DO

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Your particular situation sounds completely normal. Swelling after rhinoplasty can vary, but it often takes weeks to months for the majority to subside. Your sensation to your tip should also come back over time as well.

Ryan Greene, MD, PhD
Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

It is completely normal to have swelling after a closed rhinoplasty; it would be highly unusual if you didn't.  Your swelling will come down gradually over the next 12 months, and you will notice the most difference in the next  6-12 weeks depending upon your skin thickness.  You will have some days where there is more swelling than others, and in the mornings your nose may look more swollen than in the evenings.  Be patient and be sure to contact your surgeon's office if anything seems unusual.  Best wishes, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+1

Your situation sounds totally normal.  The body responds to surgical treatment with swelling and there is virtually no way around it.  Patience is the key because Rhinoplasty results can take a year and even longer to fully evolve.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling following a closed rhinoplasty

+1

Unfortunately, swelling frequently accompanies both open and closed rhinoplasties, and may persist for months.  Please do not be discouraged by your results yet, as it is far too premature to judge at this point.  Continue close follow up with your doctor.  The two ingredients that are critical now are mother nature and father time.  Good luck!!

Jason R. Hess, MD

Swelling after a rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling one week after a rhinoplasty is normal. This will take several weeks to improve and then there may be residual swelling for months.