How to Choose a Good Rhinoplasty Surgeon?

how to choose a good rhinoplasty surgeon? Where can I go to read some reviews about them? I want to do this only once.

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

This is an excellent question, and I'm sure you will have many different answers. As you may be aware, rhinoplasty is an extremely complex and demanding surgery. Finding an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is much more difficult than finding an experienced surgeon in other plastic surgeries of the face. Here are some pieces of advice to help guide you:

1) Find someone who has a particular interest in rhinoplasty. I would only select a surgeon who has a true passion for this operation. This will help ensure that they have more than a basic understanding of rhinoplasty.

2) Find a surgeon who also addresses the airway. Even if you have no airway concerns, you may end up with breathing problems if the surgery is not done with the airway in mind. I make it a point to improve the airway in every single patient. Surgeons who understand the airway also have a much more intimate understanding of nasal anatomy and dynamics.

3) Choose a surgeon who has had advanced training in rhinoplasty. Not all surgeons were well trained in rhinoplasty. I would ask your surgeon specifically about this.

4) Your surgeon should be comfortable with both the endonasal and external approaches.

5) Don't forget personality and bedside manner. While the surgeon's skills and artistry are most important, you want to have a surgeon who is accessible and will patiently address all of your needs during the postoperative period. This is too often ignored by patients.

Keep in mind that these are merely my opinion, but I do feel that these are good guidelines to follow.

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Picking a rhinoplasty surgeon

+2

Choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon should be done carefully. Check for board certification in plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery.  Ask friends, and check the doctors results. Makes sure you feel comfortable with the doctor and staff.

See their results

+1

Check to see if they are board certified. The ABPS and the ABFPS are two certifications to look for. However, board certification alone does not provide assurance the doctor is an expert at rhinoplasty. This operation requires lots of experience. See the doctors before and after photos of HIS or HER own patients. Some doctors may allow you to speak to some of their patients.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a good rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Look for a surgeon who is certified in ear, nose, and throat surgery so that they understand the functional portion of the nose, i.e., breathing dynamics. Search for a surgeon who has completed an additional fellowship or residency in facial plastic surgery and is board certified by the Medical Board of Facial Plastic Surgeons. Find a surgeon who has performed thousands of rhinoplasty surgeries and has demonstrated in their office a before and after photo gallery or on their web site. Even in the hands of an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon, the touchup rate is still approximately 10%. It is important to make sure that your surgery will take place in a center that is certified by one of the main accrediting agencies, such as Medicare, and that a board certified physician anesthesiologist will be in your attendance during your anesthesia. Also, look for a surgeon you have good repoire and clear communication with. It is also important that the patient has realistic expectations going in to this type of surgery.  

Delima with chooing the right rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Dear rhinoplasty patient from Leesburg, VA,
Having a good nose job requires a nose specialist and a skilled surgeon. You also want to take into account whether you feel comfortable with the surgeon, as well as the doctor's experience and other qualifications. Always choose a board certified facial plastic or plastic surgeon with experience in rhinoplasty. Be sure to check his before and after pictures to get a feel for the results the doctor has previously produced for other patients.

Kevin Sadati, DO

How to pick a plastic surgeon.

+1

Tips on picking a Plastic Surgeon
Article by George J. Beraka, MD

1) Is the surgeon a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery? Members usually do a lot of cosmetic surgery.

2) Did you sense a commitment to excellence in the office. Did the surgeon spend a lot of time with you? Someone who rushes through the consultation may rush through the surgery.

3) Were you treated as an individual? Did the surgeon present you with a surgical plan tailor made for you?

4) Plastic surgeons have to have a good eye and meticulous technique. Did the surgeon show you A LOT of before and after pictures, and did you love the results?

5) Talk to other doctors you know. Established plastic surgeons have a reputation in the community, good or bad.

6) Ask to speak to a patient who has had the procedure you want. You are looking for a surgeon who does a lot of what you want. Many patients are eager to share their experience. Privacy is preserved by having the patient call you.

7) If you are having breast augmentation, ask if the surgeon has a large inventory of different size and shape breast implants available in the operating room. A surgeon who does a lot of breast surgery will have an inventory. This way, the final implant choice does not have to be made in advance.

8) With office surgery, make sure the surgical facility is ACCREDITED. Very important safety assurance.

9) Make sure the anesthesia is given by a BOARD CERTIFIED ANESTHESIOLOGIST. Another very important safety factor.

10) Make sure the office has trained nurses available for hands-on post operative care. This can really speed recovery.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon should be taken from multiple different approaches

+1

Choosing a Rhinoplasty Surgeon should be taken from multiple different approaches. I think research over the internet is a good place to start. This is a way to get to know th rhinoplasty surgeon and to see if you get the right feel from this initial experience.  I would look up the doctors credentials. Look for things that set him apart from the competitors.  How are the before and afters? This is vital.  I wouldn't necessarily go by reputation.  You want to find someone that will take care of you personally and will pay attention to your needs.  If you go to someone that is really busy they may not spend enough time during your consultation or during your procedure. Look for testimonials.  Ask for references.  Get multiple opinions, any good doctor / surgeon will tell you to do this (if they are confident). I would at least see 3 different surgeons to get the right feel that you are looking for.  How accesible is the doctor. Can you get a hold of him via email, phone etc? Hope this helps!

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing a good rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

The choice of who to go with for a rhinoplasty is a personal one. I would recommend a surgeon who does a fair number of these procedures whether it be a board certified facial plastic surgeon or a general plastic surgeon. To me, I would find out what their revision rate is and whether or not they are comfortable performing revisions themselves. The best surgeons in my opinion are capable of doing not only the easy noses but the more complex ones as well. Finally, even the best surgeons in the country will have to do revisions on their patients as no one can guarantee a perfect result or that everyone will heal exactly the same way. Anyone or surgeon who tells you otherwise is most likely embellishing the truth. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the Best Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

Hi N,

Great question, and the most important aspect of rhinoplasty from a patient's perspective.  It always amazes me that some patients take more time picking out the color of their car than they do in selecting their rhinoplasty surgeon.  When asked, “What should I look for when choosing a rhinoplasty surgeon?” I reply, “The Eye, the Hand, and the Heart”. “Eye” refers to the artistic ability to evaluate the nose and diagnose what is required to restore balance and harmony with a natural un-operated upon appearance. One needs to have a vision of natural, “average” nose. Beautiful, attractive faces are made up of the combination of average features. The nose should get out of the way of your eyes, lips, and cheek and jaw line contours. “Hand” is the ability to perform the sculpting necessary in a precise, safe, and effective manner with a skilled and soft gentle touch. “Heart” is caring about patients with uncommon professional passion and commitment to excellence. This involves close follow up care. These attributes can be used in all walks of life, no matter what your profession or job may be. Exceptional individuals have a vision of the future, ability to carry out the necessary physical steps, and passion coupled with commitment to achieve their client’s goals. When choosing your rhinoplasty surgeon (or any other service), put your trust in those who have “the Eye, the Hand, and the Heart” that is right for you. That having been said, take your time; have multiple consultations, look at before and after pictures carefully. Make sure that they are board certified in plastic surgery, facial plastic surgery, or ENT. Good luck and be well. Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

10 Qualities of a Good Rhinoplasty Surgeon

+1

In no particular order, here are the Top 10 qualities I believe a good rhinoplasty surgeon should have:

1. They are a passionate student of Rhinoplasty surgery
  2. Communicate intently to learn about your goals
  3. Are able to convincingly see the subtleties within your nasal anatomy (not just a hump)
  4. Knows their limitations and is able to gage the complexity of a potential operation for you in terms of their personal experience with similar rhinoplasties
  5. Is able to show pictures of their own operative patients that clearly demonstrate the types of changes that they are recommending for you
  6. Understands that evaluating the "starting point" of your nose is the critical first step in evaluating options for reducing or adding to the back of your nose
  7. Has an excellent understanding of nasal function and how rhinoplasty relates to changes in breathing
  8. Is able to accurately relate back to you precisely what you see in your nose, educate you as to the underlying structures that cause this, and is able to educate you on options for making changes
  9. Is not the cheapest surgeon in town (a decision based on price alone may well be the most expensive mistake you can make)
  10. Is not too anxious about taking you on as a patient. A good surgeon will be cautious in evaluating your motivations, expectations and understanding of what they are seeing before they agree to take you as a patient
  • Extra credit -- I have a personal bias against using implants in the nose, as they have a higher risk of infection than your own tissues. I believe that the extra time I spend obtaining graft material from your own body is well worth the investment and the lower rate of visibility and complications over time.

Hope this helps.

Nick Slenkovich MD, FACS

Nick Slenkovich, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon