Swelling Around Cartilage One Year After Rhinoplasty

One year ago I had cartilage grafts on my nose to help breathing. Very soon after surgery the right side of my nose where the graft was placed was showing excessive swelling. Its now one year later and I can still see a bulge and outline of the graft. I can't tell if the graft is mis-shaped,poorly placed OR if it could still be swollen? When I massage it and push down the lump seems to decrease where the cartilage implant was. Could this still be swelling?

Cartilage greaft in nose

If you see the cartilage after one year, it is probably just the graft itself and not much residual swelling.  You may need to remove the cartilage graft.

Visible and Palpable Nasal Cartilage Graft One Year After Rhinoplasty

Hi,

What you are seeing and feeling is the cartilage graft, not swelling at a year after your initial surgery.  Your surgeon is the best resource to answer your questions about the graft, and possible revision.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after Nasal Cartiage Grafts

Hopefully your breathing has improved. If you can  still see and feel the grart one year later, a revision may be necessary. Despite the fact you can improve this with massage, it is probably not swelling that will ultimate resolve..

Swelling at 1 year after Rhinoplasty

Hi,

Most likely this is NOT swelling . It may be the cartilage graft. Most swelling dissipates at 6 to 12 months after rhinoplasty.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS