Did the Surgeon Make a Mistake by over Tightening my Ab Muscle During Tummy Tuckl?

I am 5 weeks post op tummy tuck and cannot stand upright with a lot of tightness in lower abs. Could a surgeon have made a mistake and will this last forever. Most things I read say people stand upright in 2-3 weeks.

Can you be too tight after tummy tuck?

+5

There are two things that we as plastic surgeons can do to make you feel "tight". The first as you mentioned is tightening of the abdominal wall. This is often the part of the surgery that hurts. I think it takes 6-8 weeks for patients to start feeling normal. Most experience tightness for many months. Second, the skin can be tight. This could make it more difficult to stand but in all likelihood will only be temporary. Everything gets loose with time and resolution of inflammation

A mistake by over tightening my ab muscle

+3

This is an issue you really need to discuss with your surgeon. If you are "too tight" it is most likely the skin incision not the abdominal muscular repair. Unfortunately the scar will stretch or relax over the next few months but it will appear wider not a fine line. Than you can discuss options for a better appearing scar. From MIAMI Dr. B

Difficult to over tighten a tummy

+2

IT is unlikely that the surgeon over tightened you. Even though permanent stitches may be used, their effects are not permanent and you can break down the repair as evidenced by a few womnen who have gotten pregnant after a tummy tuck.

The abdomen can feel too tight after tummy tuck

+2

The purpose of a tummy tuck is to tighten up the skin and muscle layer. Things often feel too tight after the procedure. In my experience, most patients can stand up straight within a week, although they are likely to still have a pulling sensation for up to several months after the surgery. I agree that 5 weeks seems long t0 not be able to stand up straight, but it is not possible to explain over the internet why this may be. It is important that you discuss your concerns with a plastic surgeon local to you so you may be examined, preferably the one who did your surgery. If you cannot go back to that doctor, make sure you choose one certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Postoperative Recovery

+2

Over tightening of the muscles is likely not your issue.  If it feels tight at your incision when you try to stand straight it is likely from the tightening of the skin.

The skin will stretch over time and this is not a permanent issue, at least in my hands.  Time will tell. 

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD