Am I Supposed to Wear my Binder over my Incision or Just a Little Bit Above It?

I had my TT last week 07/18/2012 and I am very swollen, my incision is very low but I was wondering if I'm supposed to wear my binder covering my incision or above it? Also is it normal to be this swollen....I look like I'm pregnant?

Hello

+1

Your compression garment is supposed to be covering your incision, you should have padding on your incision and your garment right along the incision nothing should be touching you incision but the padding. It is very normal to be swollen after surgery it takes 6-9 month for the swelling to start subsiding.

Binder and Tummy Tuck

+1

I recommend for my patients to wear the binder over their incision. If liposuction is performed with the tummy tuck, then my patients wear a compression girdle which is different. Every plastic surgeon has their own recommendations on what type of garment they use and how they want the patient to wear it. Check with your plastic surgeon. I would also follow up with your doctor about the swelling to make sure that you do not have a seroma in the midsection.

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Binder after surgery

+1

Thanks for your question, this question is best answered by your surgeon who is watching your progress and incisions, but in my practice i have patient's wear their binder over the incision.  I reccomend this  so that swelling does not form between the botton the binder and the top of the incision. 

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Where To Wear Binder After Tummy Tuck

+1

Check with your surgeon. I tell my patients to wear the binder lower, over their lower tummy / hips. The binder can have a tendency to ride up higher beneath the breasts. This is not good since it tends to restrict your rib cage and makes it more difficult to take a deep breath.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Binder should be worn to provide gentle compression to the abdominal skin flap.

+1

It is now 10 days after your surgery, so you should certainly have been seen by your surgeon by now (I see my TT patients the morning after surgery, and again at one week for umbilical suture removal and usually drain removal). Your binder should have been adjusted daily and your incisions inspected, cleansed if needed, drain care done (if used), and pads/dressings changed. I certainly hope your abdomen has not remained unexamined for this period of time.

Your low incision sounds well-placed, and your binder can actually cover the incision, but should not irritate or abrade it. The intent of the binder is to provide gentle pressure to the lifted abdominal skin flap and underlying abdominal wall tissues to aid in adherence and healing. This (and drain, if used) help to allow your tissues to adhere completely and smoothly without collections of blood or serum (seroma) that can sometime be troublesome and in some cases require re-operation. Thus, this is not a trivial issue.

Please ask your surgeon, and if you have not scheduled a recheck appointment, do so immediately! This is part of your surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon