Losing Weight After a Tummy Tuck?

I'm due to have a TT on 6th Aug, I am 155lbs and 5'8, my ideal weight would be about 145lb. Once i've had my TT if i drop 10lbs or so will it leave me with loose skin on my stomach? Thanks Sammie

Losing Weight after a Tummy Tuck

+2

Weight loss after a tummy tuck is really the rule rather than the exception. Almost all of my patients lose some weight after an abdominoplasty. This occurs in those that have plateaued from pre-operative weight and those not intending to lose weight. Whether it is a resetting of the satiation center or what, I do not know, but almost everyone loses some weight after the procedure. Therefore, we generally take this into account and try and put everything back as tight as possible.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Losing 10lbs Probably Won't Cause Loose Skin

+2

Weight loss of just 10lbs that is achieved with healthy exercise and diet very rarely results in loose, saggy skin on your stomach, so you won't have to worry about that! The key is to follow a well-balanced lifestyle which will not only preserve your tummy tuck results, but also improve your health and body contour. Your skin will most likely remain firm and your stomach toned. 

If you were talking about massive weight loss that is relatively fast (as achieved through bariatric surgery), then it would be different. You would be at a much higher risk of loose skin. Fortunately, this is not your situation, so there's no cause for concern.

Hopefully, this will allow you to have a better mindset as you go for your tummy tuck. Scientific research has shown that a more positive mindset will actually help your recovery.

Enjoy your results!

Losing Weight After a Tummy Tuck

+1

It was good that you were very close to your ideal weight before you had your tummy tuck. This allowed your surgeon to optimally tighten the muscle and skin of your abdomen. An additional ten-pound weight loss following your abdominoplasty will probably not result in any appreciable laxity of your skin.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss After TT

+1

Many of my patients set a goal for the weight they want to lose. At times it is a significant loss and when they are close to that weight I have had no problem doing the tummy tuck and the skin continue to tighten up. Some of my best before and  after photos are of patients who lost weight after their TT. 

Weight Loss After Tummy Tuck

+1

Hello Sammie,

Congratulations on seeking to achieve your ideal body weight.  Following your tummy tuck, it is unlikely that an additional 10 pound weight loss will have a significant impact on your result.  Many of my patients are so motivated by their tummy tuck results that they begin to exercise more and eat healthier.  Often times this results in additional weight loss after their procedure.  Even so, they have no skin loosening or sagging despite losing up to 20 pounds.

Best of luck with your procedure!

Web reference: http://www.drlouisdeluca.com

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with tummy tuck surgery; hopefully you will be very pleased with the results of your surgery. I think you will do fine despite being 10 pounds away from your long-term ideal weight. Subsequent weight loss  to this degree should not  alter your outcome in any significant way.

Given that you are about to go major surgery some additional words of advice may be helpful to you:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery. 
Best wishes with your upcoming surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_tummyTuck.htm

Hello

+1

10 pounds is not going to change your results after a tummy tuck. Usually after plastic surgey most patients feel great and become motivated to loose weight.

Losing Weight After a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Unless you are a person who stores all your added weight in the fat of your abdominal wall, it is hardly likely that a 10 pound weight loss would leave you with loose skin after your tummy tuck.