Sun Exposure After Fraxel:restore Laser Treatment?

Hi, I'm an Asian and 24 y/o. I had fraxel:restore treatment about 9 days ago to remove my acne scars. I healed well during the last week and now my skin looks the same as before (maybe with a little improvement). But this morning I forgot to apply sunscreen and had a exposure in the sun for 30 min in my car between 9 am and 10 am. Is it very harmful to me and am I going to get hyper-pigmentation or something? And how long should I continue to apply sunscreen?

Fraxel and sun avoidance

+1

Although you should always protect your skin from the sun, I advise patients to avoid the sun for one month after Fraxel laser treatments, especially if you have a darker complexion, to avoid hyperpigmentation.  You should contact your dermatologist to see if you should start using a medicated cream to prevent hyperpigmentation.  It will take a few Fraxel treatments and a few months to see significant improvement in your acne scars.

Toronto Dermatologist

Brief accidental sun exposure likely not problem

+1

it is unlikely you will suffer harm from this minor transgression, but tell your doctor about it so he/she can monitor. you will likely be having several restore treatments for the acne scar indication so the doc will certainly be able to keep close track of you and prescribe appropriate interventions if needed.

Web reference: http://www.drbarach.com

Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Sun Exposure after Fraxel

+1

Hi Butler.  Because the amount of sun exposure you received was small, the amount of time that has passed between treatment is long and the fact that you were inside your car, we are not overly concerned about residual hyperpigmentation developing because of the sun exposure.  After ablative resurfacing treatments, staying out of direct sunlight is key to avoiding any pigmentation issues and it sounds like you have been doing that.  

If you see the skin darken, contact your practitioner.  Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.celibre.com/Celibreblog/post/2009/02/celibre-prefers-erbium-over-fraxel.aspx