Why Do I Suddenly Notice a Foul Odor Near my Implant Gumline?

I've had my implant and crown for approx 3 years. Just recently when I "rubbertip" the area (which I do daily), the typicaly bit of oozing that occurs has a very foul odor. I saw my dentist who had no concerns but she followed up with my periodontist, who also said he wasn't concerned. I pushed the issue and got an appt to see my periodontist but not for another 2 weeks. Should I be concerned and request a sooner visit? Thoughts on the cause of this odor all of a sudden?

Cleaning around an implant

+1
When an implant is placed, that's not the end of maintenance. We have many patients on 2-3 month cleaning intervals because sometimes the access is difficult. You could ask your dentist to modify the contour of it so it's easier to get a small brush, floss or waterpik in there to keep it clean.

San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Problems with a Dental Implant

+1

Foul smell and exudates around a dental implant, or a natural tooth for that matter, is not the norm and needs to be address ASAP.  Make sure to see the doctor that placed your implant to make sure that there is no active infection occurring, this can cause the implant to fail even after 3 years. It is probably something that can be addressed very simply, but if you wait it may turn into something that cant be fixed.

Brian Dorfman, MD, DMD
Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Don't delay seeing your dentist

+1

I hope all is well. Don't delay seeing your dentist. You need to protect your investment in your oral health.

Mitchel Friedman, DDS
Eatontown Cosmetic Dentist

Problem around dental implant

+1

Without seeing you, it can be hard to tell what is happening. The first thing that I would be concerned with is that there in not an infection in the area. This could have the odor you are referring to. Another possibility is a food trap where bacteria is collecting and not being removed. Proper flossing and other cleaning tools can help to remove the bacteria that is contributing to this issue. When you see your dentist and the problem is discovered, ask how you can continue to keep the implant clean so the odor and related problems do not recur. I would try to be seen a little sooner.

Fred Peck, DDS
Cincinnati Cosmetic Dentist