Dental Implants Odor - Inevitable Consequence?

I am having a crowned/root canal-treated lower molar extracted due to a possible decay issue, and it will likely be replaced with an implant. I have otherwise healthy gums and practice good dental hygiene. I'm concerned about the microgap issue and the odor possibility. Is there a particular type or brand of implant that is recommended or superior? Thank you.

Dental implant odor

+2

With good oral hygiene and plaque control, I don't think you need to worry about an odor issue. As far as implant brands go, today the major implant manufacturers all have good products and get good results. I like Astratech, Zimmer and Straumann.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Odor

+1

Implant failure or success doesn't necessarily depend on the implant brand.  There are hundreds of implant companies.  Each doctor placing dental implants may be comfortable with a different implant system.  Success with implants depends mostly on the experience and skills of the doctor rather which implant brand they use.  The most important thing is for you to chose a doctor(s) with whom you feel comfortable to place and restore your dental implant.

To answer the second part of your question.  The gap junction is the connection between the dental implant and the abutment (post) which is microscopic and where it's believed sometimes bacteria may grow.  No implant system is immune from the gap junction.  Gap junction does not seem to be a major problem in implant dentistry.  The only way to avoid the gap junction is by placing a "one piece implant," where the implant and post are fused together and cannot be separated.

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Odor associated with implants

+1

Microgap exists with every implant type and referrs to the junction between the implant platform and abutment (extension supporting the crown). However, this microgap does not accumulate plaque which is often the cause of odor. So it is not a concern from that standpoint. Current day implants and restoration techniques allow biologically compatible environment around the implant which are easily cleaned and maintained healthy.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Odor is not common with dental implants

+1

Even in cases where a microgap DOES form (it isn't inevitable) it rarely causes an odor.  Most implant cases result in a fantastic tooth replacement that is easily maintained and odor free.  Most odors are not a result of an implant, but from plaque and bacteria in the entire mouth. 

Keep it ALL clean and you should be fine.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

No odor to worry about.

+1

Any tooth covered with plaque has an odor. Implants are made of titanium and porcelain and tend to collect less plaque than your natural teeth...no problems with odor to worry about.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

The microgap "issue" should not be of concern.

+1

If the implant is properly placed by a trained surgeon and restored by a restorative dentist familiar with the respective implant system, there is no odor caused by the microgap.  The micorogap is the space between the actual implant fixture and the post/crown which mechanically gets torqued into the implant.  Is is microscopic.  In the event of a poor fit, it becomes a much bigger problem than just odor.

Sincerely,

Dr. Anca bazile, Periodontist, NYC

Anca Bazile, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist