What Manufacturer is the Best for Dental Implants?

Is one manufacturer best than others when considering the type of 'post' for an implant procedure - i.e. OCO, Novel, 3i Biomet - I'm looking to replace a full mouth of dentures (upper/lower) but am unclear on how to research which type of titanium post is the best - I am 55 & dentures for over a year - is the only way to tell if I need bone graph thru a panoramic xray? what about immediate load vs. multi step procedure? Since my gums have had a year to heal would I be a candidate for implants?

Major implant manufacturers all have good products

+3

I think at this point the major implant manufacturers all have good products and get good results. I like Astratech, Zimmer and Straumann. Seeing an oral surgeon and getting a cone beam CT would be a good first step to see if you are ready for implants.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Best dental implant

+1
All titanium implants used in the USA are good implants no matter who makes them. They all have to meet the same FDA requirements. Only difference is design and picking the right implant for the case. A grade 5 bolt from Lowes is the same as a grade 5 bolt from Home Depot. The real importance is using all the technology available and the proper planning and placing of the implants.

Tanya Long, DMD
Louisville Cosmetic Dentist

Best brand of dental implants

+1

If you are looking for the "best" implant on the market you are going to be hard set in finding a winner. I would look for how long the company has been around (not good to have a ton of implants and then 10 years later realize the company is bankrupt and not making parts any more) You also want to see what grade of titanium is being used. grade 1 is the best but sometimes hard to find that info. I think that the big ones biohorizons, nobel, strauman, astra and 3i are all solid choices. 

The ability to see all bony structures with a head and neck CT is the gold standard for diagnosis hands down!

The multi step procedure for implants vs the immediate load depend on bone stability and force required to insert the implant and if you have multiple implants across the arch to help stabilize each other

J. Willis Baker, DDS
Wichita Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implant companies and "best" dental implant

+1

The topic about implant manufacturers is very straight forward but however is extremely sensitive. Nowadays there are more than 150 different companies producing dental implants, those which have been on the market for 20+ years and the really young ones. The secrets of titanium alloy used for implants was released long time ago. And basically the type of alloy used for implants is the same in every company, but the major differences include: the type of the production, quality of implant surfaces, biocompatibility of this surface with bone and soft tissue, biomechanical behavior of implant components, and the most important factor - long-term research. There are 3 strongest companies in the world: Straumann, Astra, Nobel Biocare. These companies invested millions of dollars in their research for decades and became the most published, safe and predictable. The rest of implant producers are not bad as well, but the personal preferences for any experienced implant surgeon will stay with the company who is able to give best product support and predictable results.

In any case with multiple implants CT scan (CBCT) has become the standard of care and is an important step in treatment planning, identifying the underlying anatomy of the alveolar ridge as well as any hidden pathology. In situations when patient has current dentures there are different ways to convert them into fixed prosthesis. Current techniques recommend 4-7 implants per arch, depending upon the amount of bone tissue remaining and type of final prosthesis. Immediate load of the denture and attaching it to the implants at the time of surgery is very popular and predictable method of treatment. Popular technique All-On-4 is helpful in the situation when the bone is extremely deficient and any augmentation procedures will be unpredictable. You need to discover different treatment options and get a consult with a specialist . 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Which implant companies are trusted?

+1

I use Zimmer primarily, but also have 3i and nobel. All three companies are well respected, have great products, and lots of research and literature behind them. I do have concerns about some implant companies that do not have a lot of studies behind them and they market themselves as the cheaper (discount) option! These include implantdirect and osstem. I also have concerns about Bicon and their long term success and aesthetic results.

It's best to discuss this with an oral surgeon or periodontist as they are the only specialists that have great experience and knowledge.

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

There isn't a best implant company

+1

Each Dr uses his choice of implants for each case based on patient needs. Some dr's use 2-3 different brands because of its design and shape, so its not really viable to find the best company..

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist