Submuscular vs. Subglandular - Which is Better?

I'm worried because my surgery is soon and some have mentioned a rt breast lift is not a good idea or thigh lipo. I heard the chest muscle dies with submuscular placement and that subglandular was better, created better cleavage and filled in the upper pole, so now I'm confused, my surgeon is planning sub muscular, but I called yesterday to see if he does subglandular, any help or suggestions? I'm scheduled to have a tt, rt lift, augment w/ saline 400+cc, lipo on flank, inner/outer thigh. Thanks

Submuscular versus Subglandular ? Which is better

+1
Most plastic surgeons seldom perform purely subglandular augmentation for several reasons. Firstly with the incorporation of dual plane techniques over the last 15 years , the advantage that subglandular placement had when there was a bit too much skin excess and the patient wished to avoid a lift has been replaced by this superior technique. In those cases when the implants were placed under the breast alone years later they tend to appear unnatural . With saline implants rippling would become more noticeable and the breast would develop a melon like appearance . When the implant is placed in a submuscular  position the superior pole transition is more natural and there is less chance of distortion over time.  The chance for capsular contracture is greatly reduced and mammograms are easier to perform. It is not uncommon for a plastic surgeon to switch implants from a subglandular to a submuscular  position because of complications, but seldom the other way around.
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Implant placement

+1

Your skin quality is the main determinant of location and so the best person to answer this question is your plastic surgeon. In my practice a majority of women get submuscular implants or dual plane and especially in those women who have lost weight or have a lot of extra skin. The skin has lost volume and elasticity and as such cannot bear the weight of the implant. BTW the chest muscle does not die. That is absolutely false.

Breast Implant Positioning?

+1

In general, I think it is in your best interests (and that of most patients seeking breast augmentation surgery) to have implants placed in the “dual plane” sub muscular position.  This positioning allows for more complete coverage of the breast implants leading to generally more natural feel/look  of the implants in the long-term. This position will also decrease the potential for rippling and/or palpability  of the implants (which may increase with time, weight loss, and/or post-pregnancy changes).

The submuscular positioning  also tends to interfere with mammography less so than in the sub glandular position. The incidence of breast implant encapsulation (capsular  contraction)  is also decreased with implants placed in the sub muscular position.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastliftaug.htm

Breast implants submuscular vs. subglandular

+1

Generally speaking submuscular implant placement is preferred for most patients.  Submuscular implants will not cause the muscle to die.  Advantages of submuscular placement include:

-lower risk of contracture

-lower risk of visible rippling 

Subglandular implant placement is possible in certain individuals, particularly in individuals with a fair amount of natural breast volume.

In your case, I would definitely recommend submuscular implant placement

Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Implants below or above the muscle

+1

I would agree with most of the previous posts that submuscular is better for most patients.

The major advantages of submuscular placement include 1) softer coverage, 2) less risk of rippling, 3) improved upper breast shape.

The major disadvantages of submuscular implants are 1) A little more painful recovery, 2) implant movement with activity (this can be minimized by appropriate muscle release).

York J. Yates - Utah

Web reference: http://www.yorkyates.com/utah/breast/augmentation/

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Sub Muscular versus Sub Glandular Breast Augment

+1

Whenever possible, I prefer Sub Muscular Breast Augmentation. The more of you there is over the implant, the more it will look and feel like you, and the less it will look and feel like an implant. This is especially important in patients who are thin or have very little native breast tissue.

Based on your photos I believe you will do better with a Sub Muscular Augment. Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Subglandular or submuscular for Breast Augmentation?

+1

I feel that both positions have a role in Breast Augmentation.  There is no question from the medical literature that the submuscular or dual-plane approach has a lower rate of certain complications such as capsular contracture.  However, there are some disadvantages to this approach as well, including the possibility of breast drooping beyond the position of the implant.

Everett Plastic Surgeon

Under or over the muscle with implants - which is better?

+1

There is not really one best answer to this question. The positioning of implants is really left to the patient to select with her surgeon's guidance. My general recommendation is to place the implants under the muscle. The gives a more natural look after surgery, provides a healthy blood supply to surround the implant, and leaves more tissue to cover the implant. In my practice I only recommend that patients who rely on their pectoralis (chest) muscles for a living have their implants over the muscle. I have operated upon body builders, gymnasts, and one trapeze artist who all preferred to leave the muscle untouched. Generally I recommend under the muscle. And in your case I would still recommend going under the muscle.

I hope this info helps!

Web reference: http://www.dr-rubinstein.com/breast-augmentation.html

Submuscular versus Saline Breast Augmentation

+1

In your case, you have very little native breast tissue and I would recommend submuscular implant placement.   This will still give you upper pole fullness and cleavage with your breast shape, but decrease your chance of scar tissue formation and rippling in the upper half of your breast.   I find it hard to tell whether you would benefit from a right breast lift based on your photos.   I wish you a safe and healthy recovery.

Web reference: http://www.drpaulgill.com

Submuscular vs. Subglandular - Which is Better

+1

Thank you for posting photos.  I prefer sub-muscular placement with saline implants when there is little breast tissue to start with, like yours.  The muscle will not die.  It will give better coverage of the implant with less liklihood that you will see rippling.  I personally would not lift your right breast with that size implant, but some surgeons would.

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon