Breast Augmentation Questions to Ask

I found a long list of questions to ask during a Breast Augmentation consult. Do you agree these are good? Any missing? Some to skip?

1. Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
  2. Were you specifically trained in the field of plastic surgery?
  3. How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
  4. Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
  5. Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally- or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?
  6. Am I a good candidate for this procedure?
  7. What will be expected of me to get the best results?
  8. Where and how will you perform my procedure?
  9. What surgical technique is recommended for me?
  10. How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
  11. What are the risks and complications associated with my procedure?
  12. How are complications handled?
  13. How can I expect my breast augmentation results to look over time?
  14. What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the cosmetic outcome of my breast augmentation surgery?
  15. Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for this procedure and what results are reasonable for me?

Questions to ask when considering breast augmentation

+2
You have a great list of questions.
The following should also be discussed
Cohesive silicone gel vs. saline breast implants
How many cc's? - deciding on implant volume
Incision locations
Subpectoral vs prepectoral implant position
Will the inframammary fold be lowered?
Breast augmentation after pregnancy
Special considerations: asymmetry, tuberous/constricted breasts, etc
Recovery and downtime
Avoiding capsular contracture
Revisional breast augmentation surgery
When considering breast augmentation surgery, I believe that the most important question for a prospective patient to ask themselves is this: Am I seeking a natural-appearing result? If the answer is yes, then seek out a surgeon who has the same aesthetic sensibility that you have (and appropriate training and experience). And insist on seeing `before and after' photos. A lot of them.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation -getting it right the first time

+2

This is a very good list of questions and most of these questions should be answered at your consultation without you having to ask them. I suggest you pull this list out at the end of the consult after the surgeon has examined you to make sure nothing has been missed by the surgeon. I would also add "and why" to #9. Good luck you are headed in the right direction.

Aaron Stone, MD

Questions to ask for breast augmentation

+2

You have done a great job doing your research.  However, you should remember that you also should find a PS with a temperament and bed side manner that you like.  You will, after all, likely follow up for several months and will likely return for other procedures.

Delio Ortegon, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Questions

+2

These are wonderful questions.  I would recommend that you consult with 3 board certified plastic surgeons to identify the best treatment plan for you.   Make sure to ask your surgeon the pro's/con's of saline vs. silicone, incision placements, and above/below muscle placement.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Breast augmentation consult questions

+2

Your's is a good, all inclusive list.  Some are a bit redundant like #2 after #1.  If you tried to control the visit and just go down the list line by line, you won't have a very good consult and the doctor patient relationship won't be off to a good start.  I do all my own consultations and you should look for this in a doctor.  NO subs (ie nurses, aesthetic consultants etc) please when it comes to choosing someone to operate on you.

I spend an hour with each patient and many have lists like yours and at the end, they scan down the list and remark that all questions were usually answered.  You can do the same and specifically ask those that weren't covered in the duration of the visit.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Breast Augmentation Questions

+1
These are excellent questions, which would all be answered during consultation I would recommend you go to various surgeons to see with which one you feel most comfortable and you feel really understands what you want and did a excellent job of explaining the surgery, also ask about the placement of you implants and what type he would use. Good Luck !

Luis Suarez, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Good set of questions! I would add a couple see below

+1
This is a very good set of questions. I would add a couple like how many of these procedures have you performed? how often do you perform BA? what incisions do you prefer and why? 
Good luck with choosing the right plastic surgeon for yourself. You may also want to see personal story video attached that goes through the process of the breast augmentation procedure

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Make sure that Before and After photos

+1

...are taken within photographic standards set before us by The American Board of Plastic Surgery.  What I mean by this is that the background/ lighting are similar as well as the position of the patient.  I feel that patients should expect the highest quality when it comes to before/after photographs.  It is also important to remember that when looking at before/after photos-- you want to look at patients who have a similar body type and breast shape as you do!  This helps us to make sure that we are all on the same page.  One of the most important keys to a successful outcome-- is having realistic expectations.

Rocco C. Piazza, MD

Questions to ask surgeon

+1

All of these questions are good. Selecting your Plastic Surgeon is like any other good relationship and should be based on good communication. If your surgeon gets defensive it's a red flag and you should go elsewhere. Many of your questions may be able to be answered by the staff,  but if you find that you are being avoided by the doctor - another red flag. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast augmentation questions

+1

this is an excellent list:

• look at the American Board of Plastic Surgery site
  • look at American society of Aesthetic Surgeons site
  • look at the Mentor and Allergan implant sites