Strange Sensations 4 Months After Facelift. Could These Be Paresthesias?

After facelift 4 months ago, I've had areas of numbness in front of and back of ears. Just recently, in an expanded area in front of ears and down jaw, I've started having strange new sensations that sometimes feel like numbness, sometimes like tightness or tingling. Could these feelings be paresthesias and, if so, why are they in an expanded area? They're very uncomfortable and disturbing. Thanks so much for your time.

Facelift Strange Sensations Sign Of Nerves Healing

+3

Thank you for your question. You are correct that the strange sensations are Paresthesias.

The numbness you have is a sign that the Greater Auricular Nerve was affected during Facelift Surgery.

Paresthesias are a good sign that the nerves are healing, if the nerve was permanently damaged you would be totally numb.

Paresthesias can last months as the nerves heal. Warm soaks and gentle massage can help.

If they become severe and troubling there are medications that can help, but you will likely need to see a Neurologist for treatment.

Paresthesias 4 Months after Facelift

+1

Paresthesias, warmness and tingling, 4 months after facelift indicate regeneration of nerve tissue.  This process may take 18 months or so.

Sensations following a facelift

+1

Numbness following a facelift may be caused by nerve damage. A facelift can result in nerve damage that is temporary or permanent.    
Nerve damage from a facelift can result in the following side effects:

1) Numbness of the face
2) Difficulty making certain facial expressions
3) Ear numbness
4) Drooping of facial features (mouth or cheek)

In general, most temporary nerve damage that occurs from a facelift will be resolve in anywhere from 6 months to a year. It may take longer for a complete recovery, but it depends on the patient and the circumstances of the issue. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon and getting his or her opinion on the issue you are experiencing. Thank you and I hope this helps.

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift recovery

+1

Dear Carol,

• These are most likely paresthesias meaning that the nerves are growing back
  • As the nerves are growing back, they can send signals further down giving you the sensations
  • If it is quite uncomfortable, I would see your plastic surgeon just for a check up to be sure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD