Chin Receded and Dental Bite Changed After Facelift Surgery? (photo)

I had a Facelift surgery 3 years ago and feel that the muscles were pulled to tightly and I am now seeing a negative change in my profile. My dentist was recently shocked to see my dental bite completely changed and with now a more pronounced overbite. My chin also seems to have receded and I'm developing sagging around the mouth area from lack of support. When I open and close my mouth there is popping in the jaw with a crooked motion, jogging to the left as I close. What can I do? Help!

Facelifting and Dental Bite Changes?

+1

I have never ever heard of this happening following a facelift.  I am not sure if the extremely weak muscles of the face could produce any changes whatsoever. 

Receded Chin After Facelift Surgery

+1

It seems unlikely that your facelift surgery caused some of these changes that you have described. No matter what kind of facelift procedure is performed, it only results in a re-draping of the skin and soft tissues of the face. Pulling on these tissues in an upward and posterior way will not exert enough force to do this. That being said, you may want to get another opinion on your overbite issues.

Carlo Honrado, MD

Chin and Dental Bite Changes Post-Facelift

+1

It would be highly unusual for the facelift to cause any issues with your dentition or to create chin skeletal changes. I recommend that you get a second dental opinion, as your dentist’s reaction sounds a bit unusual and shows some lack of knowledge. You should certainly discuss this with your plastic surgeon, as well.

Good luck!

-Dr. A

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Skeletal changes after facelift

+1

As a patient, it is wise to articulate your problems to your surgeon without speculating on their cause. Facelifts do not alter facial skeletal balance, PERIOD!

This is not to say you don't have a problem. It is likely related to your TMJs where there are many - often degenerative - conditions affecting occlusion. Your dentist should know this and should never appear 'shocked' when he or she examines a patient. Highly unprofessional!

As a Plastic Surgeon, in this instance I would refer you to a Board Certified Maxillofacial Surgeon who is the best person to deal with your TMJ problems.

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Changes after facelift

+1
Your facelift probably did not pull on any facial muscles firmly enough to change your bite over three years. Bite imbalance should be evaluated by your dentist, as a poor occlusion over time can lead to tooth wear and loss, and TMJ problems with the clicking and shift your describe. Overbites are related to the facial skeleton, not to soft tissues. Perhaps a new dentist is worth a try.