Does Being in Good Shape Prior to a Tummy Tuck Aid in Recovery Time?

I am an avid runner/exerciser. In fact I will have just ran my 3rd marathon not too long before I plan on having surgery. I am curious if being in good shape will help me have a faster recovery time from a "Mommy Makeover." I know it will be at least 6 weeks before any strenuous exercise plans. Just curious.

Tummy Tuck Recovery?

+3

Thank you for the question  and congratulations on your fitness level and your decision to proceed with mommy makeover surgery.

Although there is no science behind my comments,  I think that  generally speaking patients who are physically and emotionally in “good shape” to better after major surgery.

However, despite being in good shape you are about to undergo major surgery which involves a significant physical and emotional recovery. A few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Does being fit aide recovery?

+2

My experience shows that patients who are physically fit have better recoveries after surgery.  My only caution is nto not get discouraged.  It seems that the more physically active patients are before surgery, the more they expect of themselves.  Don't get discouraged if you are not able to do much right away.  It's normal and you will be able to get back in shape quickly once your body has recovered.  Good luck.

Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Basically, Yes!

+2

I personally believe that patients who are in good physical condition have an improved postoperative course. They tend to move more and quicker and seem to tolerate discomfort better. Good Luck!

Vacaville Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Tummy Tucks

+2

Dear Megan,  The better shape you are before surgery, usually the faster and quicker you will recover from your Tummy Tuck.  With any surgery, all parties involved need to do everything they can to optimize their readiness for proceeding into the OR.  For the surgeon, that means knowing what the problem is and choosing the correct procedure to treat the problem.  The OR team needs to have all of the right equipment and ensure that it is proper working order.  For the patient, it is taking good of care of your body and mind before surgery.  From your description, you are doing your part.  Your surgeon is a lucky plastic surgeon!  Good luck.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Better shape, better recovery

+2

The better shape you are in before surgery, the faster you will recover.  Your body will recover quickly and your result will be that much better.   

Being in shape prior to tummy tuck

+1

Yes, being in excellent physical condition helps recovery from tummy tuck and recovery from surgery in general.

Does Being in Good Shape Prior to a Tummy Tuck Aid in Recovery Time?Answer:

+1

I have seen most patients that exercise regularly do recover a bit faster than those that dont...however...I have also seen the avid fitness patients have a hard time recovering and they tend to get back into it too soon, feeling that they can't  take a week or two off...And this can delay their recovery as well...So do yourself and your investment a favor...relax and recover and follow your doctors instructions!!

Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Good Shape

+1

Being in "good shape" aids in everything. I assume you mean good physical fitness, excellent nutrition, no health issues, and managable stress in your life. You should do well and we wish you the best with your surgery.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Physical shape prior to surgery can affect outcome

+1

Typically, patients who are in better physical shape will recuperate better and faster from surgery with lower risks of many issues, a finding which is somewhat intuitive. However, some of these individuals feel too good that they may not adhere to the restrictions in activities as well as they should which can result in elevation of risks for some problems.

It is also important that after surgery, you should be on a well balanced diet with a lot of proteins and vit C. This is not a time to be on a calorie restricted diet.

Web reference: http://www.turkeltaub.com

Getting In Shape For Surgery

+1

Think of surgery like an athletic event as it does induce great stress on your body. The better shape you are in before surgery the more likely you will have a faster recovery with less discomfort. So if you 'train' for surgery, you will be doing yourself a good service. The same goes for having a good weight, diet and nutritional status. The bigger the surgical procedure, the more relevant one's physical condition is after surgery.

Web reference: http://www.eppleytummytuck.com/