Can Stitches on Muscle Repair Be Torn by Coughing?

I had prolonged cough the day of tummy tuck and mascle repair surgery. Pain was unbearable, but my concern was that stitches would be ripped. I had cough few days after surgery as well. Now I am 3 weeks post op, but I still cannot stand up right and muscles look swallen. Could my cough bring some damage to the muscles, that would compromise the whole procedure?

Coughing after tummy tuck

+2

Coughing, or other repetitive acts such as lifting or straining can cause the sutures in the muscle repair to break or cut through like a wire through cheese, and the repair can be undone. The bulge which was corrected can come back in all or part of the tummy. The sutures are not actually in the muscle, but in the fascia, or gristle, on top of the muscle. Only time will tell if the repair was undone. You will know after the swelling has all diminished, and 3 weeks is a bit early to tell. Recurrence or relapse of the bulge is unlikely but a possibility with muscle repair, and can be due to the reasons cited, as well as weak tissues.

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Can you damage your muscle tightening

+1

It is possible to damage the muscle tightening from severe coughing, vomiting, straining - activities that can increase intraabdominal pressures.  That is why plastic surgeons recommend no heavy lifting or strenuous activity after surgery for 4-6 weeks.  However, most of the time, multiple sutures are placed. So even if you heard a pop, you likely have back up sutures.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Coughing tearing muscle repair in tummy tuck

+1

Thanks for the question.

It is possible that increased intra-abdominal pressure, either caused by coughing, or possibly vomiting, could cause a muscle tear along the repair line, but this would be highly unlikely, especially in a sound repair.  To be certain, follow-up with your surgeon for a thorough examination.

Warmest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, MD, FACS

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Damage to Tummy Tuck from Coughing

+1
It is within the realm of possibility that you could have popped a suture, but with that being said, it is highly unlikely. Board Certified Plastic Surgeons are very particular when suturing the abdominal wall. I would still seek the guidance of your plastic surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Damage or ruining muscle repair with tummy tuck due to severe coughing

+1

Yes, severe coughing could theoretically disrupt an abdominal rectus diastasis muscle repair. For this reason, the use of a binder can be helpful.

Coughing CAN Tear Muscle Repair Stitches of Tummy Tuck

+1
Putting the 6 pack (Rectus) tummy muscles together and keeping them together while healing is the single most important factor determining tummy flatness. If muscle repair is avoided (when needed) - the tummy will not be flat and IF the muscle repar fails (breaking stitches) - the tummy pooch will re-appear. The likelihood of muscle repair stitch breakage depens on HOW the muscles were brought together by your surgeon ( type of stitches (dissolving Vs permanent), configuration of stitches (single interrupted or a running stitch), numbers of layers of stitches), the quality of your muscle fascia (good thickness or thin and less apt to "hold" a stitch), your propensity to suddenly increase outgoing intraabdominal pressure (Valsalva) (as is severe coughing, vomiting, wrenching, straining etc). Unfortunately, severe coughing COULD have caused some stitches to "cheese wire" cut through the muscle. Depending on the factors enumerated above, a muscle repair COULD fail with severe coughing. The only way to tell is by careful physical examination which may need to be supplemented by a CT scan. For the time being, I would just have your surgeon examine you and wait forthe swelling to subside. Then, if neded, I would obtain a CT scan to asses the extent of muscle separation, if any, and see if it even requires repair. Good Luck Dr. Peter Aldea

Coughing after a tummy tuck

+1

Coughing after a tummy tuck more than likely did not do any harm, but the only way to be sure is to get examined by your surgeon.

Can coughing effect my tummy tuck repair?

+1

Anything is possible but not everything is likely.  When we repair the muscles during a tummy tuck,. the muscles are actually not sutured.  Instead, the tissue around the muscles (called "fascia") is brought together and so any disruption of the repair would actually involve this tissue.

And although the sutures could potentially cheese-wire through this tissue, it is very unlikely.  However, I would definitely contact your Plastic Surgeon and let them know your concerns.  A good physical exam may be able to answer your question and give you peace of mind.

I hope that helps!

Gregory A. Buford, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon