Can Steroid Injections Help Hard Scar Lump in Breast Augmentation?

I have mild contracture of right breast implant and can feel a small spot where scar tissue is hard, was wondering if steroid injection could reduce the scar tissue as I do not want to have another surgery. The lump is due to a revision which I was told can cause excess scarring. The contracture was worse, but used singulair and massage for over two months with good results, only one area still firm. Thanks

Avoid injecting a breast implant breast

+1

Be careful when injecting  a breast with an implant in it to avoid poking the implant and causing a rupture.  Sometime small lumps may be scar tissue, inflamed nodes, or even the implant itself.  An ultrasound could be used to determine what exactly the lump is.

Steriods for scar lumps after breast augmentation

+1

Any discussion of breast lumps after augmentation should prompt a discussion as to cause and for any lump the correct diaagnosis is a must. If the lump really is scar steriods may not help though they are effective for scars on the skin. Steriods have been tried for capsular contracture with unintended results as often the lower capsule will weaken and the implant will bottom out.

Steroid Injections around Breast Implants

+1

Steroid injections are often used to soften and flatten thick scars. This can be done to reduce the appearance of hypertrophic scars and keloids in the skin. Steroid injections are not performed for capsular contracture because injections near the breast implants may puncturing the implant. The best thing to do is follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon