Can Mastitis and Blocked Ducts Lead to Capsular Contracture?

I had implants in 2004. 6 months ago I had my second daughter and developed a blocked duct and mastitis in my left breast from feeding. My breast is still swollen and painful, an ultrasound showed that the implant was intact. My daughter is now 28 weeks old, last week I returned to my GP, in her opinion my implant was perhaps tethered, although PS didn't agree, I have a further app in 2 weeks.. My implants are PIP and I am going to have them removed. Could the infection have caused contracture?

Capsular contracture and mastitis

+1

Mastitis is a cause of capsular contracture, but not all mastitis cases will develop capsular thickening.  On the other hand, most cases of capsular contracture have no cause.  I would seek early consultation and examination for any patient in my practice who has any inkling of capsular contracture. 

Breast Implant capsule & mastitis

+1

Firstly - mastitis during breast feeding is a significant risk for capsule formation.  In some cases fluid collects around the implant which should be visible on the US scan, and this can make the implant feel firmer.  Since you have PIP implants - which should be changed as soon as you can do this, the problem of capsule formation should not be your priority.

Christopher J. Inglefield, MBBS, FRCS
London Plastic Surgeon

Capsule contracture and mastitis

+1

Infection is thought to be one possible cause of capsule formation.  That said many patients with implants have had mastitis without capsule formation.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD