Why Do Steroid Injections After Rhinoplasty Only Provide Temporary Relief?

I'm two months post-rhinoplasty. I was given a cortisone injection a week after the operation and the swelling went way down but a few weeks later my nose got more swollen. I was given another injection at 7 weeks post-rhinoplasty and after only two days the swelling went away and my nose looked amazing but as of a week later it's getting bigger/more swollen again. It still looks pretty good right now but it looked even better before.

Steroid injections for post operative rhinoplasty swelling

Rhinoplasty swelling takes a good year to completely dissipate. The first three to four months you will see 70% of the swelling reduce however the last 30% takes a full year to entirely heal. I personally think steroid injections two months post operative is a bit premature. You run the risk of steroid atrophy and should really let the healing process take it's time before jumping into this type of immediate gratification. As you stated you will see some swelling go away however the nose will take it's time to heal and you need to allow this process to happen naturally from this point on. Steroids serve a purpose in the post operative phase and I put some of my patients on a medrol dose pack starting the day after surgery however these are oral steroids that help in the immediate post operative swelling. Give yourself some more time and let nature take its course before you have any further injections. Best regards!