Pain During Recovery from Rhinoplasty Surgery?

How much pain is involved, how much bleeding should I expect after rhinoplasty surgery? Will the pain from swelling and bruising start to subside in about 2 weeks?

Is it common to have pain after rhinoplasty?

In most people discomfort and pain after rhinoplasty settles 24-48 hours after the surgery. In patients where the nasal bones have been narrowed, termed osteotomies, a minority of patients may find some sensitivity and discomfort over the bridge of the nose intermittently for several weeks. In addition there is some swelling on the inside lining of the nose that can result in symptoms of congestion, this can result in headaches particularly in sensitive individuals if coupled with other conditions such as hay fever or sinusitis. These patients may benefit from a course of antibiotics or anti-inflammatory medications during the recovery period. There can be a wide variation in individual patient’s threshold for pain, most patients report only mild or minimal discomfort.

London Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Centre, 89 Hammersmith Grove
Hammersmith, London W6 0NQ

Everyone is different

Everyone has a different pain tolerance, and the specifics of your surgery will also determine the amount of pain and post-treatment healing time.  Most people can be kept comfortable with pain medication.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

9401 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Every patient is different when it comes to recovery. Many of my patients are able to manage their pain with Tylenol. Most patients experience a "stuffiness" following the procedure. Discuss your pain management concerns with your surgeon. Best of Luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

7706 Olentangy River Rd
Columbus, OH 43235

Pain after rhinoplasty

After rhinoplasty the vast majority of my patients have had mild pain which has been relieved by acetominophen

EAch patient's experience varies so it is possible that you will require additional medication for pain

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

33 Overlook Road
Summit, NJ 07901

Pain and bleeding after rhinoplasty

Most people describe a throbbing type of pain after rhinoplasty. There is a fair bit of variability in pain tolerance but most people control their pain with either plain tylenol or a few days of a narcotic pill.

There may be some bloody nose drainage after surgery but this typically subsides after the first few days. If you do have any bruising it usually resorbs after 2 weeks.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Pain and rhinoplasty

Most of my patients have described the sensation of pressure as opposed to pain.  Similarly if there is septum work there will likely be a short perior of nasal "stuffiness".  Pain is not a big part of rhinoplasty recovery but the discomfort of the above mentioned sensations can be cumbersome.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

8900 E Raintree Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

Pain After Rhinoplasty

Although there is usually some discomfort after Rhinoplasty, it is generally not in the severe category.  However, the amount of discomfort after this procedure is related to the finesse in tissue manipulation and the proficiency of the Surgeon in performing osteotomies (breaking the nasal bones).  If the nose is packed, most of the discomfort comes from the sensation of nasal obstruction than true pain.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

9407 Cypress Lake Drive
Fort Myers, FL 33919

What's the pain in recodery phase after Rhinoplasty like?

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and use a long acting local anesthetic, blocking the nerves around the nose called Marcaine as well as the standard shorter acting Xylocaine.  IMHO, this decreases the discomfort to the point that my Rhinoplasty patients feel a dull ache after the surgery.  This sensation is the strongest the first post-op day but you should be comfortable.  I do not use any packing in the nose which is a major cause for discomfort when removed post Rhinoplasty.  You should also have pain medication for any further discomfort.  Most patient do extremely well and are quite comfotable, so I'm not sure this should be a major concern, IMHO.

8500 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211