Pain During Recovery from Rhinoplasty Surgery?

How much pain is involved, how much bleeding should I expect after rhinoplasty surgery? Will the pain from swelling and bruising start to subside in about 2 weeks?

Everyone is different

+1

Everyone has a different pain tolerance, and the specifics of your surgery will also determine the amount of pain and post-treatment healing time.  Most people can be kept comfortable with pain medication.

Rhinoplasty

+1

Every patient is different when it comes to recovery. Many of my patients are able to manage their pain with Tylenol. Most patients experience a "stuffiness" following the procedure. Discuss your pain management concerns with your surgeon. Best of Luck!

Michael Sullivan, MD
Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain after rhinoplasty

+1

After rhinoplasty the vast majority of my patients have had mild pain which has been relieved by acetominophen

EAch patient's experience varies so it is possible that you will require additional medication for pain

Paul Carniol, MD
Summit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Pain and bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

Most people describe a throbbing type of pain after rhinoplasty. There is a fair bit of variability in pain tolerance but most people control their pain with either plain tylenol or a few days of a narcotic pill.

There may be some bloody nose drainage after surgery but this typically subsides after the first few days. If you do have any bruising it usually resorbs after 2 weeks.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Pain and rhinoplasty

+1

Most of my patients have described the sensation of pressure as opposed to pain.  Similarly if there is septum work there will likely be a short perior of nasal "stuffiness".  Pain is not a big part of rhinoplasty recovery but the discomfort of the above mentioned sensations can be cumbersome.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Pain After Rhinoplasty

+1

Although there is usually some discomfort after Rhinoplasty, it is generally not in the severe category.  However, the amount of discomfort after this procedure is related to the finesse in tissue manipulation and the proficiency of the Surgeon in performing osteotomies (breaking the nasal bones).  If the nose is packed, most of the discomfort comes from the sensation of nasal obstruction than true pain.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

What's the pain in recodery phase after Rhinoplasty like?

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and use a long acting local anesthetic, blocking the nerves around the nose called Marcaine as well as the standard shorter acting Xylocaine.  IMHO, this decreases the discomfort to the point that my Rhinoplasty patients feel a dull ache after the surgery.  This sensation is the strongest the first post-op day but you should be comfortable.  I do not use any packing in the nose which is a major cause for discomfort when removed post Rhinoplasty.  You should also have pain medication for any further discomfort.  Most patient do extremely well and are quite comfotable, so I'm not sure this should be a major concern, IMHO.