How Soon Should I Start Using Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation?

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op with the incision in the fold and my doctor says to wait till 4 weeks to start using scar treatment. Isn't it better to start sooner to have them healed faster?

Scar massage therapy/treatment

+3

Follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.  I concur with your PS.  I generally recommend initiation of scar massage therapy starting at 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Scar treatment should in general start sooner rather than later

+3

If you had a plastic surgeon perform your breast augmentation properly, the incision should be small and well hidden.  It sounds like he/she wants you to allow the incision to heal before trying to manipulate the appearance of it.  This is because it takes the body approximately 6 weeks to achieve peak strength in terms of scar/collagen formation.

If your scar is becoming hypertrophic or wide there are many treatments available but few are typically successful.  At this point only slilicone sheets have been documented to work.  everything else is a crap shoot.  Later on other options may be helpful.

If your scar is discolored or red then you should wait and let the scar mature and likely fade to normal.  There are creams out there that may help reduce the time it takes to help it fade but not by much.

These are general options, you should see your plastic surgeon and tell him about your specific complaints about the scar to see what you should ultimately do.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Listen to your surgeon

+2
Usually, I recommend patients start their scar treatments (silicone sheeting and silicone gels) only after the steristrips fall off and the incisions are no longer crusty or scabby. This means that it's more your progression rather than how many weeks have passed. However, you should really listen to your surgeon since they're most familiar with your situation.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

When to begin scar treatment

+2

Scar treatment shouldn't begin until after the incision has completely closed up- usually 2 or 3 weeks after breast augmentation.  I would follow the advice of your plastic surgeon as he/she can best evaluate your particular situation.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation

+2

Every surgeon has their own treatment regimen for incisions following surgery. I use sutures that dissolve beneath the skin over time with adhesive steri-strips over the incision. These strips are removed 1-2 weeks after surgery. At that time, I recommended topical scar treatment with Kelocote scar gel and Vitamin E oil. I feel this treatment can reduce the scar. This treatment should be individualized based on the patient's skin sensitivity and plastic surgeon's preference.   

Charles A. Messa III, MD

When to start scar creams after breast surgery

+1
Your Surgeon probably is giving you the best information for your particular surgery. In general I tend to start after 2-3 weeks with scar treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How soon should I start using scar treatment after breast augmentation?

+1
Hello!  Thank you for your question!  It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.   Typically, scar treatment may begin once completely healed and on average ~6-12 weeks postoperatively.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. It appears as if you had a breast lift at the same time? Depending on the time from the procedure, some of these modalities or laser therapy may help. However, scar revision may certainly be entertained, which could be performed at the same time as any revisionary procedure, if you are unhappy with the result.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Proactive scar management

+1

Every person heals differently and will improve over the next 3 to 6 months.  Some patients require up to one year to fully mature.  A nice scar starts in the operation room. The incision must be placed in the right position, sutured keeping the tension off of the skin itself.  Also it has been show that keeping the incision taped for the first three weeks keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  Then from the end of the third week to the end of the third month it helps to use a topical product with silicone.

Scar Cream after Breast Surgery

+1

I would ask that you follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon as he/she knows you best and wants the best result for you.

Best Wishes.

There is no good scar treatment after breast augmentation except protecting the healing incision.

+1

Scar creams don't work.  Massaging of the scar does not work.  Pressure might help but is seldom indicated after a diminutive breast incision for implant placement.  Lasers don't work.  Avoid trauma to the scar and it should look great in a few months.