How Soon Should I Start Using Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation?

I'm almost 2 weeks post-op with the incision in the fold and my doctor says to wait till 4 weeks to start using scar treatment. Isn't it better to start sooner to have them healed faster?

Scar massage therapy/treatment

Follow the instructions of your plastic surgeon.  I concur with your PS.  I generally recommend initiation of scar massage therapy starting at 4-6 weeks after surgery.  Best of luck.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Scar treatment should in general start sooner rather than later

If you had a plastic surgeon perform your breast augmentation properly, the incision should be small and well hidden.  It sounds like he/she wants you to allow the incision to heal before trying to manipulate the appearance of it.  This is because it takes the body approximately 6 weeks to achieve peak strength in terms of scar/collagen formation.

If your scar is becoming hypertrophic or wide there are many treatments available but few are typically successful.  At this point only slilicone sheets have been documented to work.  everything else is a crap shoot.  Later on other options may be helpful.

If your scar is discolored or red then you should wait and let the scar mature and likely fade to normal.  There are creams out there that may help reduce the time it takes to help it fade but not by much.

These are general options, you should see your plastic surgeon and tell him about your specific complaints about the scar to see what you should ultimately do.

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

Listen to your surgeon

Usually, I recommend patients start their scar treatments (silicone sheeting and silicone gels) only after the steristrips fall off and the incisions are no longer crusty or scabby. This means that it's more your progression rather than how many weeks have passed. However, you should really listen to your surgeon since they're most familiar with your situation.

Scar Treatment After Breast Augmentation

Every surgeon has their own treatment regimen for incisions following surgery. I use sutures that dissolve beneath the skin over time with adhesive steri-strips over the incision. These strips are removed 1-2 weeks after surgery. At that time, I recommended topical scar treatment with Kelocote scar gel and Vitamin E oil. I feel this treatment can reduce the scar. This treatment should be individualized based on the patient's skin sensitivity and plastic surgeon's preference.   

Breast scar management

Thank you for your question. Breast incisions can be managed using a multimodal approach:
1) Scar massage - starting as soon as the surgical dressings come off and the incisions are sealed
2) Silicone sheets or scar gels for about six months to year
3) Embrace - a tension reducing dressing for the first 2 months
4) Fractionated lasers to help blend the scar into the background - done as a series, starting about 4 weeks after surgery and repeated every four weeks for six months.
5) Sunscreen to prevent the scars from darkening

Use Platos Scar Serum early in healing

Once the skin has epithelialized and the sutures removed, I would suggest using Plato's Scar Serum twice daily on your scars.

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Typically treatment can begin 2 weeks post-op.

It’s important to understand that post-operative wound management varies from patient to patient and depends upon a multitude of variables.In the vast majority of cases, topical scar treatment can be started 2 weeks after surgery.
Unfortunately, we occasionally see patients who have small areas of wound breakdown and infection along the wound edges.Under these circumstances, treatment should be delayed until these areas are completely healed.
If you’re considering this type of scar treatment, discussion with your plastic surgeon is appropriate.Your surgeon should be able to make recommendations that hopefully minimize your scarring.

When should I begin using ScaRxtape for my scars?

I have recommended ScaRxtape for my patients after injury or surgery. It is simple to use, inexpensive and works as well as other more expensive creams. I have patients put it on starting about two weeks after surgery and wear it for several months. It usually stays on through showers for about a week.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

When to start scar creams after breast surgery

Your Surgeon probably is giving you the best information for your particular surgery. In general I tend to start after 2-3 weeks with scar treatments.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

How soon should I start using scar treatment after breast augmentation?

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.   Typically, scar treatment may begin once completely healed and on average ~6-12 weeks postoperatively.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. It appears as if you had a breast lift at the same time? Depending on the time from the procedure, some of these modalities or laser therapy may help. However, scar revision may certainly be entertained, which could be performed at the same time as any revisionary procedure, if you are unhappy with the result.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD