Why Am I Lactating After Breast Augmentation?

I am 8 days post op from having breast augmentation 525cc under the muscle, incisions under the breast, & i noticed at day 5 that i was leaking what looked like milk from my right nipple. i saw my nurse today for my 1 week post op appointment & she said i am lactating. she didn't say anything apart from it should stop. my right breast is a lot more swollen & bigger than my left & i am starting to worry. please can you tell me why this happened, if there is anything to worry about & will it stop

Lactation after Breast Augmentation

+2

Lactation after Breast Augmentation is not uncommon. It may be a response to the normal increase blood flow during the healing process or from being in proximity to the milk glandular tissue during surgery. Lactation  after breast augmentation  is usually transient and should stop within a few weeks in most cases. If it lasts longer than that it is worth going back to your surgeon for an evaluation.

Breast Augment

+1

Although rare it is normal and does happen. If it does not stop or is painful, bloody, or malodorous I would suggest seeing a breast surgeon

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

"Lactation" or milk droplets coming from the nipple after a breast augmentation is common and not often something to worry about

+1

After any type of breast surgery including breast augmentation, the appearance of fluid from the nipple that can be clear, yellow or milky white can be quite common.

The ducts of the breasts normally contain cells and a small amount of fluid that is naturally produced by the breast glands, even if you are not in actuality lactating (producing milk after pregnancy). 

A breast augmentation can create swelling of the breasts and force this normally produced fluid out the ducts into the nipple, and it can be expressed sometimes with squeezing the breasts (like during implant massage), or spontaneously. 

Be patient and if there is a large amount of fluid being produced, a nursing pad or panty liner/maxi-pad/makeup remover pad in your bra can help to avoid an embarrassing spot on your shirt from leakage!

Be sure to discuss this event with your Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for additional information.

Karen M. Horton, MD, MSc, FACS, FRCSC

Plastic Surgery, Aesthetic Surgery, Reconstructive Microsurgery

Karen M. Horton, MD

Drainage from nipple after breast surgery

+1

Patient can have some drainage from their nipple as you describe.  But this should subside several days / weeks after surgery.   I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon.   If your symptoms do not resolve, then you may want to consider visiting with your internist.  Best of luck

Dr. Basu

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Discharge after Breast Surgery

+1

Discharge from the nipple/areola after breast surgery because the milk ducts have been manipulated.  This discharge should stop spontaneously. 

Best Wishes.