How Soon Can You Start Applying Scar Creams/oils to Tummy Tuck Scars ???

What are the best products to use to reduce the scar appearance ??

When to Apply Topical Agents to the Scar after Surgery?

+3

My philosophy is to start applying these agents when the scar is healed enough.  This is a clinical judgment, but in general, is about 4 weeks after surgery.

I like products which have a mild steroid (hydrocortisone) and silicone in them.  The steroid will help with the redness and the silicone will help with scar healing.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Scar Management After Tummy Tuck

+3

Although we still have lots to learn about the scarring process, there certainly are things that can be done to improve scars. Tummy tuck scars will take at least 6 months to reach their final maturation, and many times longer.

I usually steri-strip tummy tuck scars for two weeks post-op. Moisturizing lotion can then be used for any dryness. Scar massage begins after three weeks. This allows time for the local tenderness to subside and for the scar to gain some strength. Massage is performed three times daily for five minutes. Lotion is used as a moisturizer and lubricant while mild to moderate pressure is applied rubbing along the direction of the scar (not across it). A tummy tuck scar usually has a fairly substantial “healing ridge” beneath it, which takes several months to dissipate; scar massage will slowly help this resolve.

Silicone gel sheeting may be helpful, although once again the exact mechanism by how this works is not known. It is important to wash all lotion from the skin before apply the sheeting; this prevents early breakdown of the silicone gel sheet. Silicone gel sheeting should be worn for a minimum of 12 hours per day, and I encourage patients to wear it longer if possible.

Scarguard and HybriSil are other topical scar products that patients like and seem to be beneficial at times.

Sun protection is also important during the healing process, so don’t forget that. Normal clothing only provides a spf6 - spf8 so supplemental sunscreen is necessary.

You should certainly discuss scar management with your surgeon to see what s/he recommends. Your surgeon should be able to guide you appropriately and offer advice so that you do not waste money on unnecessary or ineffective treatments.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

When to apply scar creams to tummy tuck scars

+3

Most patients are impatient in wanting to apply "scar creams" to scars thinking that those creams will help scar healing. The truth is that most scars do no,t and will not benefit much from scar creams. Scar formation is a gradual process which can take upwards of one year and longer. During that time the scar will undrgo a lot of changes including color, texture, elevation amd thickening. That is why one must be followed up with their plastic surgeon so he( she) can decide if any intervention is necessary such as steroid injections. I would not suggest going out and buying scar products unless you just want to support the product company.    

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Products for scars.

+2

silicone gel products work well. so do scar lasers. i use the palomar non ablative laser and have seen nice results from that treatment. I recommend waiting 3 weeks to start the gel, and wait at least 6 weeks to consider laser treatments.

Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar Cream

+2

The condition of the skin closure will dictate how soon you can start applying scar creams and oils to the incision/scar.  Wait until your first post operative visit and discuss this with your surgeon, first.  It is very important that all sutures and drains are removed and the skin is well healed so that the risk for infection is minimal.

Web reference: http://www.norrisplasticsurgeryhouston.com/abdominoplasty-houston.html

Scar Gel after Tummy Tuck

+1
I usually wait until well healed at 3 weeks. Ask your surgeon about his or her preference. Silicone strips and creams work well.
El Paso Plastic Surgeon