Splint/cast for 2 Weeks?

My ENT/facial plastic surgeon wants me to wear the splint/cast for 2 weeks! is that too long? I am having a septorhinoplasty done

Cast or tape

+1

cast (made with hard material) is usually left in place until your first postop appointment which is 4 to 7 days, depending on your surgeon preference, at that time most surgeons will change to taping of the nose,  I tell patients to wear the tape 24 hours a day for two weeks, then to only at night, most patient wear the tape even longer, the purpose of the tape is to control the edema (swelling) of the soft tissues.

Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Splint/cast for two weeks?

+1

2 weeks is generally the amount of time patients will wear a cast and tape on their nose. A hard cast in generally worn for the first week, followed by brown paper tape the second. I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any specific guidelines they have. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

How long should a splint be used post-rhinoplasty?

+1

That is a bit longer than usual. One week is usually enough, as it can become quite loose and less functional if used much longer. 

Ahmed Abdullah, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon

Splint for rhinoplasty

+1

I usually take the nasal splint off my rhinoplasty patients by one week after surgery. I suppose it is OK to wear it for two?

How long to use splints (internal and external) for rhinoplasty

+1

i generally use internal (not packing) and external splints for one week.  if a lot of septal work was done i will use the internal splint for two weeks.  but i dont think too weeks is too long for the external splint.  however, it might lead to some temporary acne. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

Cast removal after rhinoplasty

+1

We remove the cast after rhinoplasty at  5 or 6  days which is usually all that is necessary. It's also important not to have any packing placed on the inside of the nose since  packing is quite painful. Splints are also not required unless there is adhesions in the nose from prior surgery.

One week is typical for a nasal splint/ case

+1

Two weeks does seem long but all surgeons have their own individual protocols. I will typically remove a splint at 5-7 days at the latest. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Splint/cast for 2 Weeks

+1

Although the average length of time for a splint is one week sometimes your surgeon may want it longer depending upon the procedure and your preoperative condition.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Splinting after surgery

+1

The norm is 1-2 weeks.  Wearing the splint for longer definitely will not compromise your result.  If this is what your surgeon recommends, I would trust his recommendations.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Nasal Casting Length May Vary by Surgeon

+1

Since plastic surgery is an art and a science, if your surgeon feels that you need a cast for 2 weeks there may be a special reason why she/he feels that way.  It may be the usual routine or it may be indicated in your case.  I would speak with your surgeon further if you have concerns.  I typically leave the cast on anywhere from 6 to 8 days, but again every surgeon is different.

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon