Healing Bruises After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

I just had Liposuction and a full Tummy Tuck done a week ago. I'm very pleased with what I've seen so far. However, I have extensive bruising from my hips to my knees, both sides of my stomach area, and the pubic area. How long before these bruises heal, and how can I speed up the healing process?

Bruises after tummy tuck and liposuction

+8

Most of the bruising is from the liposuction element of your surgery. It looks like you will have a beautiful result and 10 days is very early for you to be at all worried. The bruising will be gone in another 2 weeks and you will be feeling much better by then. Stick close to your surgeon and follow their advice for the best recovery. Good luck!

Most of the bruising resolves by 2 weeks

+7

In most cases, the bruising is much improved by 2 weeks, and the swelling by anywhere from 2-4 weeks. I find that simple things like walking at gentle massage really do help, but time is the best treatment. You look like you are healing relatively normally for 1 week after surgery; be patient and talk directly with your surgeon as he or she will have their own specific protocols for the post-surgery period.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

You have a great result

+7

First of all, you have a great result! Your bruising and swelling look normal for one week after surgery. You will be surprised, but the swelling and bruising will resolve over the next week or so. I usually have my patients go for medical massage starting 10 days after surgery to help with the swelling and lymphatic flow. However, you should discuss this with your surgeon before starting any therapies. Also, avoiding alcohol, salt and spicy foods helps keep the swelling down. Finally, Arnica Montana tablets or cream may help with the bruising. This is available in most health food stores.

I hope this is helpful.

Dr. David Shafer

New York City

David Shafer, MD

Follow post-operative instructions

+5

Bruising time and severity varies from individual to individual. The best thing that can be done is to follow your doctor’s post-operative instructions for a faster recovery. Using a compression garment for two weeks 24 hours a day and as tolerated thereafter, except for showering, will help with swelling and prevent slow healing and excessive drainage.

I also use TopiFoam on my patients up to three days after surgery to assist with the bruising. Drinking adequate amounts of liquids to prevent dehydration, and avoiding alcoholic beverages for 48 hours before and after surgery will help with recovery. Avoiding soaking in baths or sitting water (no pools or ocean water) for at least 7 days after surgery will minimize the risk of infection. Arnica may also help.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Help for bruises after tummy tuck or liposuction.

+4

Congratulations! You look great. Many of my patients are very happy with a lotion called BruiseGuard or Arnica montana to prevent and/or treat bruising. You should feel free to try them now if your surgeon approves, but there is nothing proven to speed up the process.  It looks like you will have bruising for 2 to 3 weeks.  Here is the most important thing I can tell you:  Whatever you do, avoid all sun (and tanning bed) exposure on the bruised areas until the bruising is fully resolved. If you don't, the bruising could last for months and months.

James N. Romanelli, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Bruising and tummy tuck

+3

Hi,

Nice incision.  Tells a lot about your surgeon.  I really like your result too even though not seeing your pre op pics.

The bruising that you have at the love handle areas are definitely from the liposuction that you have in those areas.  The bruising in the areas below the tummy tuck incision is happening because of the residual bleeding/tumescent fluid going with gravity down your legs.  This also might be from some liposuction in these areas but if there was no liposuction on your legs, then it is the gravity deal.  It will not hurt but it takes time to go away.

You probably should be thinking in the several week time frame for it to resolve but look beyond your bruising and get ready for a great time with your results.

A nice card to your plastic surgeon thanking him/her would be good too.  If you were my patient at this time in your post op time frame, I would be very proud.

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

+3

Everyone heals differently and at a different rate. You do not have any reason to be worried yet. I would give your body a couple more weeks of recovery and the bruises should be gone by then. Good luck!

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Bruising Post Tummy Tuck

+2

Bruising can last a few weeks. Every one is different when healing from surgery. Your results look great so far. I would recommend to be patient, maintain a healthy lifestyle and consult your surgeon if you have any further questions or concerns following your surgery. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Bruises after Liposuction and a Tummy Tuck

+2

You have an excellent result and should be pleased with your outcome.  The bruising is from the liposuction and will resolve over the next two to three weeks. Wear your compression garment and remember to drink plently of water and walk.

I think you have an excellent surgeon!

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

I love your result

+2

Your plastic surgeon did a great job - Smooth contour and great shape to the belly button. I like a vertical oriented belly button like you have. I do not like the inverted smile belly button shape that some doctors provide. If you look at any swimsuit model, their belly button looks like yours.

As for swelling, I tell my patients the following:

• Avoid spicy and salty foods
  • Medical massage or lymphatic drainage should only be done 6 weeks after the surgery, to keep the treatment from putting undue stress on the sutures.
  • Arnica Montana and Bromolein are two homeopathic medications that can improve swelling. Real scientific support for these claims is lacking!
  • I advise my patients to perform their own massage after three weeks while in the shower. This massage is small circular motions.

As with any advice on this site, seek your own doctor's advice, because it is obvious that he or she knows what they are doing!

Good luck!

Robert Freund, MD, FACS

Robert M. Freund, MD