Treatment to Help Minimize Tummy Tuck Scar?

I'm thinking of having a Tummy Tuck but am worried about the possible scar from the procedure. How can I minimize tummy tuck scars? Would laser treatments help? If so, should it be ideally done at time of procedure or after recovery?

How To Minimize Tummy Tuck Scar-Laser Can Help

Thank you for your question. Your concerns are the most common question I am asked about the Tummy Tuck. All patients are concerned about the scar.

The most important factor in minimizing the Tummy Tuck Scar is the surgical technique used by your surgeon. Trying to take too much skin to create a very tight Tummy is probably the most common cause of a red raised or widened scar. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Most often the Tummy Tuck Scar can be hidden below the Bikini Line or Underwear Line. However if most of the loose skin is higher, around the Umbilicus, a higher scar is required.

Laser Treatments using the Non Ablative Fractional 1540 Erbium Laser can be very helpful in reducing the size, color and appearance of the scar. Inquire if your surgeon has this modality available-it can make a significant difference. See link below.

Usually not necessary

When the incision is done well and the skin is closed without tension at the edge, the scar usually fades very well. One way to avoid this kind of tension is called progressive tension suturing. If the scar starts to thicken and turn red, there is a type of laser that can help, or a similar technology called IPL (intense pulsed light).

Richard Baxter, MD

Following Your Surgeon's Care Instructions Will Help Minimize Tummy Tuck Scars

This depends on what you mean by "scar treatment". After your sutures have been removed/dissolved and the steri-strips have fallen off, then you'll be able to begin using topical gels, creams or silicone sheeting to help reduce the appearance of scars. This is only if there are no complications at the incision site, such as infection, and there is no scabbing or crusting. One product I commonly recommend is Dermatix, but there are other products available - talk to your surgeon to find out what they recommend for you. You can use these products for as long as you'd like, until you reach your desired result. You may also seek nonsurgical aesthetic treatments performed in-clinic to help minimize the appearance of scars (laser or micro needling).

Please note that any cosmetic treatment can help to reduce the appearance of scars, but it often is unable to completely eliminate them. The goal of any scar reduction treatment is to replace a single, extremely visible mark for a less unsightly one. Good luck!
Laser treatments can help, but should only be performed after your surgeon gives you the green light. This is normally after you've recovered.
Having said all the above, however, the best thing you can do is follow your surgeon's instructions.

Laser can help improve a scar, but will not make it disappear.

The scar from a Tummy Tuck procedure is a permanent scar. Many Plastic Surgeons use all dissolving sutures and special techniques to reduce the scarring and improve the final results. Some patients heal with a wide or discolored scar, even with good surgical techniques. Tummy tuck scars need to mature to improve in appearance. Usually, this is a minimum of 4-6 months, but can continue to improve up to 18 months later.

If we notice that a scar is not improving as we want, laser can be helpful. Most Plastic Surgeons have the ability to use different lasers to affect different problems. One laser is used for discoloration and another for redness/fullness.
You should discuss this issue with your Plastic Surgeon before your procedure so you are comfortable with your options. Make sure you see pre and post op photos, so you understand what the normal scar can look like.

David A. Dreyfuss, MD
Orland Park Plastic Surgeon

First Things First

Almost every procedure in Plastic Surgery involves trading a scar for the ultimate result. For most patients, if the scar can be minimized and placed in an inconspicuous location, the trade-off is very worthwhile.

Abdominoplasty or Tummy Tuck scars are placed as low as possible above the pelvic brim, where they are typically hidden by undergarments and bikini bottoms. However, occasionally there may be some visibility of the scars, and they may stretch, thicken, or widen. There are several treatment options for the scars after Abdominoplasty, depending on the presentation. One option for the temporary redness of scars (caused by capillary growth across the scar) may involve the use of a laser which targets the hemoglobin in the red blood cells, causing coagulation of the capillaries and resolution of the redness of the scars. Other options may include steroid tape or injections, silicone tape, or surgical revision of the scar.

Your surgeon will monitor the progress of your scar during the healing process, and will advise you if any further treatment is necessary.

Don't let the scar deter you from having your Tummy Tuck! For most patients, even the worst scar is better than the excess skin and fat that is removed by the Abdominoplasty.

Athleo Louis Cambre, MD

Best way to minimize scar from tummy tuck

It would be helpful to know about you and how you heal. Do you have a history of forming hypertrophic and/or keloid scars? Is your complexion olive or black? Women with a history of poor scar formation and/or hyperpigmentation after a scratch, etc. are more likely to have these same issues with other scars. Unless you have a history of this, your scar should fade to a white line and hopefully be flat. There are several things you can do to help your scars. If you have good nutrition, take vitamin C and zinc, your body will be primed to heal well. Number two is select a good surgeon; he/she will be gentle in handling the tissues and will close the incision with minimal tension, all of which help. Ask them if they use the Quill barbed sutures, these also help take tension off the closure. I have my patients use paper tape on the incisions for 3 months after surgery; this helps a lot. If you have a history of poor scar formation, you could consider laser treatments. In my area this is performed by a dermatologist and they usually start the treatments 2 weeks after surgery. Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Abdominoplasty incision

The incision from an abdominoplasty usually heals very well. I usually have my patients wear steri-strips or paper tape for several weeks after surgery. Yes, lasers may help lighten the scar, but usually tummy tuck scars fade nicely on its own.

Permanent scars are inherent to a tummy tuck procedure

As plastic surgeons, it is our intent and goal to minimize all scars. In the tummy tuck procedure, there are necessary incisions that ultimately will form permanent scars. You should know the location of the tummy tuck scars prior to the surgery, and accept that poor wound healing may occur.

The quality of postoperative scars varies widely and is dependent upon many variables. By seeing a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in body contouring procedures and tummy tucks, you greatly improve your chances of getting the best results. As you are well aware, there are no guarantees.

Laser and IPL treatments can improve the appearance of scars. However, I must caution you to have a lengthy discussion with your plastic surgeon to cover this potential complication as well as others before consenting to this procedure.

Thanks for your question.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

I typically allow the incision to undergo healing, with the use of scar prevention aids initially. If the scar has redness 4 to 6 months after surgery, laser can be an excellent aid. I currently prefer the use of intense pulse light treatment for this issue. Ultimately, it is most important to make sure you choose a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, to achieve the most desirable outcome. Your board certified surgeon will have a variety of options for you to consider and have the training needed to get the best outcome for you.

Julius W. Few, MD

Minimize Tummy Tuck Scar

Hi, erppie.  Hopefully your scar did well if you did, indeed, proceed with your tummy tuck? While your question was asked some time ago, I would like to add to the responses, perhaps to help other patients with the same question and concern:

Three months out from surgery can be a very funky time as far as scars go. Providing a well-executed repair of your icision by your surgeon, with good support, the incision line is expected to be clean, thin, and flat. (There may be some minor skin puckers, due to correction gathering or areas of stretch marks, that will resolve.). As the incision heals, the scar begins to form and will go through different stages for months and even years. The scar will begin turning pink, and in many may begin to develop a darker, brighter, more purplish or purplish-brown color. Initially the scar will be thin and flat.

From this stage, many changes may occur, some predictable and others not as predictable. The scar may begin to widen; thicken; become more raised and lumpy; become more thin, stretched, and jagged; itch; become painful; become more intensely colored; become darker, more purplish or brown; etc., or a combination.

Many factors influence the course of one's scar and the final outcome, again some of these factors are predictable and some not so predictable. Some of these factors may be controlled to a certain degree and some cannot. Genetics and a person skin type is a major factor, and cannot be controlled. The location of the scar also is a major factor -- scars on the eyelids, for example, are largely favorable while scars on the upper chest, deltoid area and jaw carry a much higher risk of developing thickening. The orientation of the scar is also critical -- scars following the natural skin lines will fair better than scars in an opposite or in a different direction than the skin lines. For example, the lower, horizontal scar of a tummy tuck will generally due better than a verticle, up and down abdominal scar. Scars will likely do more poorly if the tissues were closed under tension, the circulation of the tissue is suboptimal, the tissues were not well-aligned or not well-supported, there is subsequent skin edge separation or poor healing, infection develops, scabbing present, the tissues become dessicated (dried out), etc. The type of suture used, the number of layers placed, and the care in aligning and supporting the tissues by your surgeon will also influence the scar quality. And finally, the care of the scar by the patient will also have some influence -- keeping the incision clean and slightly moist/protected during the healing period, avoid stress and pull to the suture line, avoiding trauma and compression to the suture line, and providing support and a protective layer (taping, silicone, other scars gels, ?oils, massage, etc.) during the scar phase. Abnormal scarring, such as keloid formation, or over-reactive scar formation (hypertrophy) may require intervention -- and the earlier, the better.

It is difficult to evaluate scars from a photo, unless it is significantly abnormal, as the colors are often distorted (especially the red and blues that are typical color elements of a scar -- pink, purple, brown), valuable information of a 3D structure is lost in 2D, and the lights and shadows may obscure or artificial enhance the appearance. I would encourage a patient to discuss the appearance of the scar with his/her surgeon, particularily if there has been a change. At three months, one may be able to positively impact and significantly improbpve the appearance of the scar. I have patients apply a petroleum-based ointment (Vicks) during tne healing phase to provide an optimum moisture environment for the incision; early showering with a chlorihexidine soap to keep the incision clean and free from scabbing; followed by a taping program (the type of tape depending on the scar appearance and progress), once the incision has healed, for many months. Additionally, when possible, I recommend compression and massage of the scar. Each surgeon has his/her scar regimine, and I would always defer to the patient's surgeon.

Giovanna Ghafoori, MD
Harlingen Plastic Surgeon