Can Smoking Affect Results After Rhinoplasty?

I am 17 days post up after having a crooked nose straightened. Can smoking this soon possibly make my nose crooked or cause movement again somehow by the effects of the smoke?

Smoking and nose surgery

+2

Great question!

Cigarettes contain nicotine which is a powerful vasoconstrictor.  This means the chemical chokes all of your blood vessels in your body.

Decreased blood supply means potentially delayed or poor healing and will increase your risk of infection, wound break down and possible need for additional surgery.

Our minimum recommendation for patients who smoke is to stop smoking at least 4 weeks before surgery and resume (hopefully never!) 4 weeks after surgery.

Please note nicotine gum, patch, and second hand smoke are just as bad.

Santa Ana Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and results of rhinoplasty

+2

Smoking itself will probably not directly cause any movement in the structure of your nose, effecting the results of your rhinoplasty. However, smoking always effects the healing process which could indirectly effect your results. For example, it could cause one side to heal with more scar tissue or could effect the soft tissues which could change the results.

If you've gone 17 days without smoking, why not just hold off a little bit longer to avoid the risk of complications.

Best regards,

Dr. Speron

Sam Speron, MD

Smoking and cosmetic surgery

+2

Smoking prior to and immediately after cosmetic surgery of any kind is unwise. Cigarette smoke causes blood vessels to constrict, blood to flow more slowly, impairs the body's ability to fight infection and limits oxygen delivery to the healing tissues because of the carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke. This alone should be enough to make you stop smoking for good!

Smoking has obvious cancer causing risks as well as significantly accelerates the skin's aging rate. Remember, you did this to not only look better, but also to be around to enjoy the results. This is a great opportunity to quit, your body will thank you and so will your family!

Best of luck

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Avoid Smoking in the Pre and PostOp Periods

+1

We generally recommend that cosmetic surgery patients not smoke in the pre and post-operative periods. Although cigarette smoking won’t cause structural changes, it can adversely impact wound healing.

Cigarette smoking can decrease blood supply and oxygen delivery. This can adversely impact wound healing and can increase scarring. Cigarette smoking can also negatively impact pulmonary function. For these reasons, cigarette smoking should be avoided in the pre-operative period. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Smoking After Rhinoplasty

+1
Any type of smoking has the potential for negative effects and complications for wound healing. It is not good to smoke and especially before or after any type of operative procedure. Smoking is a bad habit.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Smoking cigarettes after surgery slows healing process

+1

Smoking cigarettes after the rhinoplasty will not make your nose crooked or cause movement due to any affects of smoke on the nasal tissues. It also certainly does not help the healing process and the best idea is to quit smoking.

Smoking and its effect after rhinoplasty

+1

Smoking will not make a straight nose crooked nor will it cause the nose to
move or deviate following surgery. Nevertheless, smoking does alter blood supply and diminish oxygenation to local tissues that may affect surgical healing with any surgical procedure. Smoking is terrible and is a serious health risk. Accordingly, I do not condone smoking in any circumstance.

Sigmund L. Sattenspiel, MD
Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery

+1

We insist that patients stop smoking before cosmetic surgery because blood suppply is so important for healing! This is especially true with "open rhinoplasty"; however, I doubt that smoking will cause your nose to become "crooked" again after 17 days of healing. The "straightening surgery" depends more on internal structural realignment of nasal cartilages than anything else...not enviornmental factors.

Burr Von Maur, MD

Delayed healing in smokers

+1

I agree with the rest of the panel that smoking is detrimental in the immediate post op period, especially in patients who have had an open rhinoplasty. The problem after the fact is it may delay resolution of swelling so I would lay off the cigarettes as long as you can and quit if possible.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Smoking After Rhinoplasty Can Be Harmful

+1

Smoking can seriously effect the healing after any surgery. In rhinoplasty the first week is crucial. Smoking during that time can cause skin break down and loss of skin of the nose which can cause permanent disfigurement. This is more risky after revision rhinoplasty.

After one month of healing if the nose is doing well, smoking is less likely to cause any serious harm other than drying out the nose, sneezing, bleeding and obstruction.

While you are off the smoking, why not just quit?

Regards

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon