Changing Pressures and High Altitude OK 5 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

I just had a rhinoplasty and am planning to trek to Everest Base Camp starting 5-6 weeks after the surgery. Will I be sufficiently healed by then to undergo a trek like this? I am concerned about the changing pressures and high altitude. I already flew twice a week after surgery and felt completely fine.

Flying and stressful physical exertion after rhinoplasty

+1

I have no problems with allowing my patients to fly shortly after rhinoplasty.
On the other hand, climbing Everest and other ventures that requires stressful
physical exertion should be avoided after any surgery, including rhinoplasty. I
don’t know if you would experience any problems but why take a chance?
Why not climb Everest and then have the rhinoplasty? Be prudent and use good discretion!

Freehold Facial Plastic Surgeon

Check with your surgeon

+1

Of course you should check with your surgeon. I would be worried about the mild loss of sensation that occurs in the tip of the nose after rhinoplasty. In the high altitude, very cold conditions of Everest you are at high risk of frost bite. You might not be able to tell that you are having a problem until it is too late. Here is a link to the story of Beck Weathers who lost his nose during a climb that went bad.

http://www.kepplerspeakers.com/speakers.aspx?name=Beck+Weathers,+MD

I am not really worried about pressure chages at 6 weeks-your nose should be healed enough.

I wish you luck and success with your climb.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Mountain climbing after a rhinoplasty.

+1

I have all of my patients take Afrin with them if they are going to altitude just in case they are not able to clear their ears or sinuses on the descent. No problem on the ascent.

There are typically no physical restrictions 3 weeks after Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

You should ask your surgeon for specific advice regarding your surgery and your situation. The main concern with strenouos activity after Rhinoplasty Surgery is a nose bleed. I will usually allow my patients to resume unrestricted activity 3 weeks after nose job surgery. Again, it is best to check with your surgeon for this specific recommendation.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Exposure to changing pressure and high altitude 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

At six weeks after rhinoplasty surgery, most patients are healed enough to tolerate varying pressures and altitudes associated with flying and recreational activities such as your trek to the Everest Base Camp. However, you need to discuss this with your rhinoplasty surgeon, who has been monitoring your healing process and can determine whether you would be ready for the trek.

Climbing Mount Everest After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Nose Surg,

You should discuss this with your surgeon. I would advise waiting unless your goal is to become the earliest to climb Everest after rhinoplasty (don't know if there is an existing record). Good luck with your nose and your climb.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Climbing 6 weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

That's a bit soon to undergo such a vigorous regimen.  Although you would be unlikely to have any wound healing issues at that stage, the change in altitude combined with nasal swelling may make it more difficult for you to breathe easily, which is not ideal while climbing.  I would strongly recommend delaying your climb for several months.  You should speak to your surgeon as well, who I suspect will be of the same opinion.  Good luck, /nsn.

Nina S. Naidu, MD, FACS

Climbing Mount Everest 5-6 Weeks After Rhinoplasty

+1

This is relatively early and more than your nose id effected by rhinoplasty surgery. Nerve sensation and venous as well as sinus drainage patterns are altered and it is possible that you will not have adequate protective sensation as well as sustain prolonged swelling.