Smoking and Smart Lipo on Neck/Jowls

I am considering having the smartlipo done on my jowls/neck area. The doctor said it can only be done on non-smokers. Why is this, or is this correct?

Avoid smoking before and after liposuction.

+3

Liposuction is typically done under general anesthesia.  You can usually tell a smoker from a non smoker because on the OR table the smoker is coughing in their sleep and their bodies jump up while coughing. 

Smoking should be avoided before and after any surgical procedures because your body needs oxygen to heal properly. 

To get the liposuction canniulas into the skin, small incisions are made and smokers tend to scar most of the time. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/liposuction/

We always try to ask our patients to stop smoking before and after surgery

+2

The risk of complications after surgery is higher for smokers,especially for surgeries that involves long incision and lifting. The risk is much less for surgeries like laser lipo.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

In my experience smartlipo liposculpture can be performed on people who smoke.

+2

In my experience smartlipo liposculpture can be performed on people who smoke. This is because there is little damage to the blood vessels of the neck with this procedure.

Chicago Dermatologist

Smoking slows down the healing process...

+1

If you are a smoker and want to get liposuction, it is recommended to stop smoking two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.  Smoking slows down the healing process and puts patients at a higher risk for complications.  It also reduces the blood flow to the area that was operated on which can add to possible complications.  While smoking is not an absolute contraindication for performing liposuction of the neck, you would certainly want to give yourself the best possible chance of healing nicely.  Your surgeon will discuss all the complications with you at the time of your consult.

Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smoking should be curtailed before, during and after liposuction

+1

Liposuction is not an emergency life threatening procedure. It is an elective procedure designed to improve ones appearance. Therefore, your health should be optiimized prior to the procedure so that you can healwell and obtain  the best possible outcome. Smoking interferes with the skin and fat cells oxygen availablitiy.

Web reference: http://www.thenyac.com/liposuction/index.html

Smoking is a modest liposuction risk

+1

Smoking is a risk factor for all cosmetic surgery, though it will impact facelift and tummy tuck to a much greater degree that with liposuction. Of course it is best to stop but the risk is only a modest one.

peterejohnsonmd

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/liposuction

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.