Smoked Two Cigarettes 48 Hours Before BA Surgery is that OK?

Hi! My BA surgery is on Friday at 9AM...48 hours essentially. I am not an occasional smoker but today I smoked two cigarettes and also three cigarettes last week. I am 24 years old, healthy, etc. I did smoke for two years in college but the past five months, I have occasionally smoked while drinking. Over the past week (leading up to my BA), I smoked a total of 8 cigarettes, last Wednesday and then two cigarettes today. Should I cancel my BA surgery on Friday ? Thank you for your help!

Smoking and BA

+1

Fortunately, smoking does not have the same kind of negative impact on a breast augmentation as it does on a breast lift.  So, unless you are having a lift with your BA, you shouldn't be at a significantly higher rate of risks.  I would, of course, advise quitting afterwards.

Hope everything goes well for you.

Cigarettes and Breast Augmentation

+1

There are only three operations that plastic surgeons refuse to do on smokers: Face Lift, Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck. Smoking affects the safety of anesthesia but 2 cigarettes 48 hrs before a breast augmentation is a non-event. Don't worry, Be Happy!

Lawrence Foster, MD, FACS, FICS

Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Smoking before Breast Augmentation?

+1

Fortunately, it is very likely that you will do well  with the breast augmentation procedure despite smoking.  This does not necessarily hold true for patients undergoing more extensive surgery such as breast lifting, tummy tuck,  or face lifting surgery.

Of course, best to address this question directly with your plastic surgeon who is also responsible for care.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

Smoking in the week prior to breast augmentation

+1

Smoking is clearly not a good thing because it affects wound healing.  Clearly, your pre-op nerves manifested themselves this way!!  I recommend that you contact your plastic surgeon to discuss this because he must decide whether this is within his comfort level, rather than the RealSelf panel.  Best of luck.

Sad to say, but smoking will not impact your breast augmentation

+1

Smoking is bad, and can impede healing and be a problem for cosmetic procedures, but the lick of it is that the risk of smoking and poblems with breast augmentation are very few. You need not cancel your surgery.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com

Smoking and Surgery

+1

Any history of smoking increases the risk of poor wound healing prior to surgery.The number of pack years and the proximity to surgery also may have an adverse effect . A young otherwise healthy individual with a small ingestion of tobacco will result in a small increase in the overall risk.

Smoking and breast surgery

+1

It is always best to be honest with your plastic surgeon and let him know that you are back to smoking.  He can evaluate the situation and let you know if there is a problem.  One or two cigarettes prior to surgery should not be a major concern.  In general we do not like patients to smoke in the peri-operative period, two weeks before and two weeks after surgery.  It can effect your healing.  No one wants any wound healing problems.  

Smoking and Breast Augmentation

+1

Smoking is harmful with respect to blood supply and healing, especially with certain procedures like facelifts and tummy tucks when a thin flap of tissue is created.  Smoking can also cause patients to cough more following anesthesia and this might increase discomfort and the risk of bleeding although I think that risk is quite low.  I assume you have discussed your smoking history with your surgeon but if you have not you should notify him/her tomorrow and make sure this will not be a problem.  

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Smoking and plastic surgery

+1

The nicotine in cigarette smoke causes the small blood vessels to decrease in size and this causes a decrease in blood flow. Smoking adds a lot of unnecessary risk in lifting operations, such as face lift, breast lift, tummy tuck. It does more harm after surgery than before. 

However, for a breast augmentation, there is probably no measurable increase in  wound healing risk. 

Cancel you smoking habit, but go ahead with surgery. Best wishes.