Can You Explain the Upper Pole Fullness/swelling After Breast Augmentation Surgery? (photo)

My question says it all. I notice that after breast augmentation, pretty much all woman has a period of this "bulgy" look at the top of the breast. Some say its the implant that hasn't dropped yet, or muscle not relaxed, and some say its from swelling..What exactly is happening in that area? I am completely pleased with my result, but from the side it looks funny (from that upper pole uneven look after surgery) How long does that normally last? What is it exactly that causes that?

Can You Explain the Upper Pole Fullness/swelling After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

Thanks for the photos posted. Reasons for early upper pole fullness are: Muscle spasm or contraction not allowing dropping of the implant, swelling, seroma/hematoma, poorly dissected inferior pocket. If over 2 months post op than I would be concerned for poor inferior dissection. Only treatment is revisional surgery. 

Breast Implants “Riding High” After Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although some of the “bulgy” look at the top of the breasts  after breast augmentation may be related to swelling,  most of the is related to the location of the breast implants. The breast implants are “riding high” because the pectoralis muscle is contracting and maintaining the breast implants higher on the chest wall.

I see this phenomenon routinely after breast augmentation surgery;  it may take several months (and even up to one year) for the breast implants to fully settle (" drop and fluff”). Although many patients may not believe it, the breasts often appeared larger as the implants settle.  I think that “downward” massage  may be helpful in expediting this process.

Implants have not fallen

Thanks for the excellent pictures. How long ago was your procedure, I do not think I saw that in your question.  Your implants are riding high.  If it is within the first several weeks, they can continue to drop on their own and you can speak to your surgeon about massage or a device called a bandeau to help them fall.  If you are several months out, they may not fall much further.  Please speak to your surgeon.

Drop and Fluff

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.

Upper pole fullness after breast augmentation

Upper pole fullness after breast augmentation is common after submuscular augmentation especially. It is my belief that the muscle, having been elevated off of the ribs has a period of time where it goes into spasm, forcing the implant up. Combined with perioperative swelling, it is typical for the implants to ride high for approximately 2 weeks postoperatively and then typically drop one night while the patient is sleeping. I believe the muscle simply relaxes and stops having spasm. If the pocket was well dissected in the lower part of the breast the implant  usually falls to where it belongs  This is a progressive phenomenon over approximately 2 months. Relatively final results are seen at that point in time. We use an indwelling pain pump which is placed through the skin and lies under the muscle. With this IV catheter functioning like a soaker hose with a four-day continuous flow of local anesthesia, I now see this quite rarely. The muscle doesn't spasm as much in the presence of the local anesthesia  I do use a bandeau bra early postoperatively to  help  insure that the implants stay low.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Upper Breast Fullness

There are several reasons why the breast may have excessive upper fullness:

1) Early after surgery there is a component of swelling.  Swelling usually peaks approximately        two to three days after surgery and then gradually subsides over the next 10 days or so.

2) It takes time for the tissues on the lower aspect of the breast to relax and allow the implant to settle as a result of gravity.  When the implant is placed beneath the muscle it takes time for the muscle to stretch and to let the implant fall.

3) It is important to have the appropriate distance between the crease beneath the breast and the nipple so that the implant can be "centered" behind the nipple.  This distance will depend on the size of the implant.  If the distance is too short for the size of the implant then the implant will tend to stay high and produce the bulging look that you mention.

Sometimes you just need to be patient for the normal settling process to occur.  On other occasions a bandeau may be helpful to encourage the implants to settle.  A discussion with your surgeon should help to answer your questions.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Upper pole fullness?

Upper pole fullness usually refers to the rounded, full look implants will give to the breast.  The "bulgy" contour that you are referring to in your photos has to do with the implant not having settled just yet.  If you are within the first few days to weeks after surgery, your implants will continue to "settle."  However, if you are several months after surgery, you may not observe any other changes or "dropping."  I would discuss with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Anureet K. Bajaj, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question! You are still early post-procedure. Your appearance looks typical at this stage and will continue to improve as the swelling subsides and the implants continue to settle into their desired position. This usually proceeds over the next several weeks as the lower pole skin/breast stretches to accommodate the implants. Follow-up closely with your surgeon for additional restrictions/instructions and the potential use of bras/garments or massage that may encourage the implant to settle appropriately. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Upper Pole Fullness

Upper pole fullness after breast augmentation may be due to several factors. Submuscular implant placement results in significant though temporary swelling of the superior aspect of the muscle. Implants placed under the muscle tends to rise in the pocket in the early post-operative period due to the pumping action of the muscle squeezing the implant up along the chest wall. It's important to wear a restrictive binder above the breasts during this early period and to perform massage to push the implants down in their surgical pockets. This process may take weeks, on many occasions one or both submuscular implants might not "drop" and revision surgery may be indicated to reinstate the implants.