Smoked a Cigarette 3 Days Post Breast Implant Removal, Will I Heal Okay?

I Smoked a Cigarett 3 Days Post my Breast Implant Removal, Will They Not Heal, I Wont Smoke Again

Smoked a cigarette 3 days post-breast implant removal, will I heal okay?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! The issue with nicotine is that it also acts as a vasoconstrictor, clamping down of blood vessels. Blood supply is always of great concern during any surgical procedure, but especially in surgical procedure where the viability of the nipple-areolar complex and tissue is obviously important. Since the vascularity to the area is already tenuous since it will be raised by cutting around the area, maximizing blood flow to the tissue is critical.

Typically, we recommend at least 6 weeks of smoking cessation prior to and at least 6 weeks after any surgical procedure. The longer, the better. Nicotine always increases the risk for infection, nipple necrosis, poor scarring, and wound complications, as well as other health consequences including blood clots. The anesthesia risk is greater with general anesthesia as well as pulmonary issues/lung infections postoperatively. I would discuss this with your surgeon prior to your procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

+1

1 cigarette will probably not affect healing for breast implant removal since you are not altering the blood supply. But don't do it again!

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Cigarettes and healing

+1

While a single cigarette is unlikely to significantly impact the results, cigarette smoking does risk complicating healing.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Please don't smoke if you're having plastic surgery

+1

All forms of nicotine should really be avoided for any plastic surgery procedure. This is particularly true of cigarettes, but also applies to replacement patches/gum etc. 

The reason is that nicotine act as a powerful drug that shrinks down small blood vessels. And it is exactly these small blood vessels that are needed to heal your wounds. In addition, the skin is often put under tension in plastic surgery operations. This also has the effect of reducing blood supply. Therefore if you smoke as well, it is effectively a "double whammy" for your wounds and they are at a much higher risk of infection and would healing problems.

Marc Pacifico, MD, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Cigarettes and healing

+1

Cigarettes are a no no!  While I doubt one cigarette will cause any problems, cigarettes in general increase the risk of major complications with healing.

Smoking after Breast Implant Removal?

+1

Although impossible to say for certain, I think it is unlikely that a single cigarette smoked 3 days after breast implant removal will change your course. These operations are associated with small incisions are generally heal well.