Can Sleeping on Your Stomach Help Implants Settle and Soften Faster?

Sleeping on implants

+2

Thanks for your question -

It is unclear how much massage, garments and other methods of putting pressure on implants (like sleeping on them) helps the implant pocket soften or mature.

There likely isn't any harm in it. You should ask your surgeon because the surgical technique used as well as how long it has been since your surgery may influence the correct answer to this question. For example, if your surgery was relatively recent sometimes massage or pressure can create an increase in bleeding.

Talk to your doctor.

Sleeping on your stomach and implant softening

+1

No one knows exactly what sleeping on your stomach will do. There are no formal scientific studies on this subjec that I know of. It may or may not do anything.  Sleep in which ever position you feel comfortable.

Implant malposition

+1

Sleeping on your stomach would only increase the chance for displacement of your implant.

Massage helps in my mind to make the pocket soft,the mechanism could be a mechanical stretch of the fibrous tissue in the capsule. Hope that helps!

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Sleep position should make no difference after augmentation

+1

In our Chicago practice I place our augmentation patients into a soft bra and an upper breast wrap that is worn continuously for the first two weeks. I feel that the tissue heals faster and there is less soreness if the breast and implant is kept still for the first two weeks.

Sleep position should not make a difference and even the benfit of breast massage to maintain softness is of limited value. You should be safe to sleep on your stomach, and if pressure makes the tissue and breast sore you can pad the chest with a pillow or mattress top.

peterejohnsonmd

Do not sleep on your stomach

+1

When the implant is put into the pocket the weakest part of the pocket is the outer aspect. If you put a lot of pressure on the pocket during the early time period you will stretch the pocket too much. When you lay on your tummy is puts lot of pressure in the implant pocket. When this outside of the pocket is enlarged the implant tends to slide to the side when you are on your back.

Try to protect the pocket in the early time period so it dos not become over stretched.

Every surgeon will have a different manner and timing of implant massage so work with your surgeon to get the best results.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

It does not make any difference.

+1

Hi! I think the breasts should look and feel good right at the end of the operation. It's what is done during surgery that determines the result. If the breasts don't look or feel good, massge or pressure or sleeping on your stomach will probably not help, unfortunately. I wish it did!

Our patients don't do any of these things because I think tissues heal best at rest. We have patients sleep on their back, stay in a bra, and keep their elbows by their sides for one week. After three weeks, there are no restrictions of any kind.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Laying on your stomach helps keep the pocket open

+1

Yes, laying on your stomach helps keep the pocket open. This is due to the pressure exerted on the implant from the weight of your body. It is best to exert this pressure in several positions. That is why we have you do breast massage after your implants. I do not think that sleeping on your stomach is necessary, but 5 to 10 min per day would be very helpful. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD