Breast Tattoo Safe with Breast Implants?

I have breast implants and would like to have a tattoo that covers my left breast. Is this dangerous? I've had the implants for 4 years.

Should be okay

+1
It would probably be okay however you should make sure to go to an experienced and reputable tattoo artist whom you can trust. You don't want to compromise your health with a  possible infection! The tattoo needle is very short and will not penetrate your skin to the depth of where your implant is located.

Tattoos on breasts

+1

A tattoo if applied under sterile conditions should be ok in a patient that has breast augmentation. I do not think it should cause a problem for you.

Tattoo shouldn't be dangerous to the breast implants

+1

Do you mean will a tattoo affect the breast implants in any way? Tattoo placement as long as the artist is qualified and the tissues over your implants are thick enough should be OK. I would check with your surgeon beforehand if you have any doubts.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

No problem

+1

You will be fine. There is no reason why you cannot have a tattoo that covers your breast after breast augmentation. As long as everything is healed up well and you are going to a qualified tattoo artist, you should be fine. Good luck and enjoy your tattoo.

David Shafer, MD

No danger to the implant

+1

There should be no physical damage to the implant. I recommend that you ensure sterility so as not to get a transmitted disease. Be sure that this is what you really want to do. The tattoo can not be easily removed, and especially without scars. You may one day regret that you did this. Think about when you move into your "golden years" .

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Tattoo and breast augmentation

+1

The straightforward answer is yes. You can get a tattoo with a breast implant and not worry about puncturing the implant. In fact, when we reconstruct a breast after breast cancer, we use a tattoo device to create the pigmented areola.

However, there are some other concerns that have been raised about tattoos and breast implants. First make sure you go to a reputable artist who uses not only sterile needles but individually distributed paigments. Another concern is that hardening of the implants (capsular contracture) is caused by a low grade bacterial presence (biofilm). There is some anectdoal eveidence to suggest that a tattoo can result in spreading of bacteria through the bloodstream where they settle on the implant. For the most part this is theoretical but I bring it up for the sake of completeness.

Tattoo over a breast implant is not dangerous

+1

You should be safe to have a tattoo over the breast after breast augmentation. Tattoos are often used for our breast reconstruction patients to add color to the nipple if needed, and this has never caused any problem.

Tattooing is certainly controvertial but is safe. If you are sure of your decision you needn't let others discourage you, though if unsure it is best to wait.

peterejohnsonmd

Tattoo over breast OK after augmentation

+1

There are no problems getting tattoos on implanted breasts. It is often done in breast reconstruction, when then areola is tattooed on. A word of caution is to make sure of good sterile technique, and apply topical antibiotics afterward.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Safe

+1

Hi. The real question is: are you going to want this tattoo in 10 years? Every year, I see women with tattoos who regret them, and they are really permanent. Give it a thought.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Tattoos generally safe...

+1

Cancer patients with implants and extensive scars may elect to camouflage their scars with decorative tattoos. Of course you should have the tattoo performed in a safe and sterile manner since skin infections can seed the implant. Also,this assumes that your soft tissue cover is adequately thick. Some patients with long-standing implants canhave soft tissue atrophy where the overlying skin and fat is quite thin and traumatizing it with tattooing can pose risks.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD