4 Weeks Post Tummy Tuck - Should I Sleep in my Compression Garment?

I have my tummy tuck done 4 weeks ago I am still sleeping with the garment just because I feel more secure when I have it on, its OK to do this. I will include some before and after pictures so u will see my progress. Thanks.

Safe and Feels Good

+3

Looks like great healing so far.  Each surgeon handles the use of garments differently.  I don't feel they help greatly with healing or smoothness but many of my patients like the feeling of support and continue to wear them after the first few weeks.  This is generally considered safe but as with all things, double check with your surgeon to be sure it fits his/her process and he/she is aware of what you are doing.

Compression garment after tummy tuck

+2

You can only benefit from wearing your compression garment.  I like to have my patients wear a snug girdle for 6 weeks.  6 weeks is the magic number of weeks after surgery at which point you have healed enough to resume all activities.  Many women report that they feel more comfortable wearing the garment even longer. If you notice increased swelling when the garment is left off, then there continues to be benefit from wearing the girdle.

Randy Proffitt, MD
Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Wearing your tummy tuck compression garment

+1
I would ask your surgeon about how long you should be wearing your compression garment. It certainly helps the recovery process. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Garment after abdominoplasty

+1

Please consult your plastic surgeon for advice on wearing your garment after your tummy tuck.

That said, in my practice if the garment makes my patients feel comfortable and secured at 4 weeks I have no objection to them continuing to wear it.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck and compression garment use

+1

I usually advise my patients to wear a compression garment for 4 to 6 weeks following tummy tuck surgery.  I believe it does help minimize fluid collections (seroma and hematoma) and helps swelling (edema) to resolve more quickly.  Over the years, I have been surprised that most patients don't balk at this request and in fact say the same thing you have, that they feel more secure in the garment than without it.  There is no harm in wearing the garment longer.  If you still have some swelling, this should help.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon