Caring for Infants After Tummy Tuck

I have an 11 month old daughter and have arranged for someone to care for her for two weeks. She weighs about twenty pounds and is not walking yet. Will I be able to lift and carry her at the third week after my procedure?

Post operative care after tummy tuck

+1

I ask my patients to limit their lifting and any exercise for 6 weeks following a tummy tuck especially if I am tightening the abdominal muscles.  Any forceful activity such as straining can disrupt the stitches in either the muscle repair or in the closure.  At 2 weeks you should be able to lift carefully but you are taking a risk.  

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Heavy lifting after a tummy tuck

+1

You should avoid lifting more than about 25 pounds for the first four weeks after a tummy tuck. If you have a small child that weighs 20 pounds, you can lift the child, however I would limit how high you are lifting the child as this will be uncomfortable. Carrying a child of that weight is not necessarily an issue, but you need to be careful of the manner in which you lift the child up.

Consult with your plastic surgeon for more specifics regarding this topic.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD