Is my Skin Elastic Enough for Liposuction?

I am 21 years old and recently lost 40 lbs through jogging. I like my size but have some unattractive excess belly fat. I do not appear to have excess skin but do have a few stretch marks which raises concerns about my skin quality. If I've lost 40 lbs and do not appear to have excess hanging skin, should I automatically assume I won't have a problem with skin laxity post-lipo? Also, my breasts have unattractively gone down two cup sizes since jogging; would those fat cells possibly grow after abdominal cells are removed?

21 yr olds usually do great with liposuction since skin elasticity is in their favor

From your photo, you should have a very good result with liposuction alone and if done under local tumescent technique with the micro canulas it should run on special about $5000-6000.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

9201 W Sunset Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90069

Skin elasticity for great liposuction results

You are very wise to be concerned about your skin elasticity as no liposuction techniques can give a great result with less than good skin elasticity. Weight loss and pregnancy and age and genetics are the most important determinants of skin elasticity.

While there is no perfect test of the skin, stretch marks and rolls and folds are bad signs. Also if you shake the skin back and forth with your hand and it jiggles for a few seconds, this is also not a good sign. If it stops almost immediately, this is a better sign of elasticity.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

1135 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Lipo post weight loss

Good job!

Yes, an exam by a board certified plastic surgeon is best. Probably what is even better is a little more patience. You've been diligent and lost the weight. But you said "recently." Let your body adjust some more. Keep up your vigorous routine and transform it into a lifestyle - diet, excercise, spirit. You may just find that after a year your abds look just fine. Consider what some weight training might add to what you have already accomplished. Why add surgery at this early juncture in your wonderful, natural transformation.

If you can accomplish through a healthy lifestyle what surgery 'might' accomplish, I'd choose no cut every time.

Bottom line, your abdomen may look even better with more time and more work. Go Girl!

Clayton L. Moliver, MD

575 E Medical Center Blvd
Webster, TX 77598

Abdominal skin may retract after liposuction, but gaining weight does not make droopy breasts perky again

Firstly, congrats on your weight loss! I cannot tell from your photo how much fat you have left or what the quality of your skin is. Whether your skin will tighten after liposuction is better determined with an in person examination with a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience and training in both liposuction and tummy tuck techniques. A surgeon who can do both is best suited to evaluate which procedure is better for you. A non plastic surgeon offering liposuction cannot or should not do tummy tucks and may therefore promise results with the lipo because it is the only arrow in the quiver.

Gaining weight again may make your breasts larger, but are unlikely to make them perky.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

970 Dewing Avenue
Lafayette , CA 94549

Skin Elasticity and Liposuction

From the picture it is hard to tell about your skin elasticity. This can really only be determined with a physical examination in the office. However, if your skin is only moderately loose and you have excess fat, then liposuction may be a good option. If you have loose skin, then it is probably best to have a tummy tuck at the same time as your liposuction of your flanks. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

10 East 53rd Street
New York, NY 10022

Skin elasticity and Liposuction results

Yes, you should assume that, since you have no excess skin after your weight loss, you should do very well with liposuction for the few localized fatty areas left. Unfortunately, nothing will happen to your breasts. They may need to be evaluated for an augmentation or mastopexy (lift) or both. Congratulations, by the way, on your weight loss.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

209 Hospital Drive
Highlands, NC 28741

Liposuction and skin laxity

Today liposuction can be used to recontour the body from head to toe, including the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, buttocks, breasts, neck, jowls, back, calves ankles, and knees. New technology that's gentler and faster than ever before not only allows the removal of large amounts of fat, but also resculpts the body.

Smart Lipo is a form of liposuction that uses laser light to liquefy fat and tighten the surrounding skin. It involves less downtime and side-effects than traditional liposuction and is particularly good for small areas of fat deposits. It also helps improve skin laxity. Sometimes a combination technique using both Thermage and Smart Lipo is best when there is moderate skin laxity.

Thermage is a non-surgical (no incision!) treatment that can tighten skin and stimulate your body to make healthier collagen—the building block that provides structure to your skin. The procedure uses radiofrequency technology called ThermaCool® that has been clinically proven to tighten and gently lift skin to smooth out wrinkles and renew facial contours. Fast and easy, Thermage requires no downtime from normal activities.

And unlike laser treatments, Thermage can be performed on patients of all skin types. Thermage can be used all over the body, including the abdomen. In only one treatment, patients report smoothing and tightening with lasting results. Tighten and lift without surgery, injections, or downtime.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

1001 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY 10028

Keep up the good work

Congratulatiopns on your successful weight loss. Looking at your picture, it appears to me that you are agood candidate for liposuction, in patients like you I suggest a procedure which will promote skin thighthening at the same time, it is my opinion that Smartlipo MPX will provide the best result an it is possible to be performed with oral sedation and tumescent anesthesia only.

Good luck

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

6300 W 143rd Street
Overland Park, KS 66223

Liposuction and skin stretching back

patients of your age group typically find that the skin redrapes well after liposuction. Stretchmarks won't change. Other areas might gain more fat after liposuction if the amount of calories taken in during the day doesn't change compared to the amount before liposuction, and yes it is possible that one or the only area in which this may happen is your breasts, but it is unpredictable.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Elasticity of skin and liposuction

It is difficult to say with strong conviction that your skin has good elastic properties without examining you in person. A 21 year old usually does have good elastic skin.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028