When Can You Exercise After Liposuction?

At 50, and active, will it do any harm to go back to my martial arts physical activities a couple of times a week, after the first 5-7 days?

Exercise after Liposuction

+1

Exercise Guidelines after Liposuction

Here is the information I give my patients regarding the recovery process after liposuction including Smart Lipo and other lipo techniques.
Normal activity may be resumed at 2 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed

Web reference: https://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/body/liposuction/

Wait At Least 3-4 Weeks Before Returning to Rigorous Exercise

+1

While I always encourage my patients to not spend all their time in bed following surgery (leisurely activity minimizes the risk of deep clots in your leg veins and helps with swelling), I would not recommend doing any rigorous physical activity until about 3-4 weeks after surgery. This can even be longer depending on the extent of surgery and how you're recovering.  Therefore, that includes martial arts.

Of course there are many different types of martial arts, and you may be able to return to the kind you do sooner depending on their physical vigour (but not 5-7 days after).  For example, the gentle movements of non-contact tai chi might be okay to return to after 2 weeks, but definitely not something like judo or muay thai, which may necessitate more than 4 weeks due to the sparring element. Returning to vigorous exercise so soon after surgery will comprise your recovery, and 5-7 days is too soon.

Excercise after liposuction

+1

You should not be involved in martial arts that soon after surgery.  Think about your results.  You are looking for improvement so don't be impatient.  Listen to your surgeon.  Your recovery period maybe shorter if you are in great shape.  Take your time so you can have the best result.

Exercise after liposuction

+1

Depending on the surgeon, light walking may resume with a compression garment as soon as a couple of days after surgery, but your surgeon may say much longer.  Working out aerobically should be delayed for two weeks and more strenuous activity might be done at the same time depending on your surgery and condition. Check with your surgeon.

Way too early!

+1

Going back to physical activity only after 5-7 days is way too soon. I usually recommend waiting 4-6 weeks after surgery. This allows for adequate resolution of swelling and helps mininmize the chance of seroma formation. Good luck. Dr. ES

Activity restrictions and limitations after liposuction

+1

These recomendations vary tremendously among practitioners and the restrictions will depend on the extent of liposuciton performed and the number of areas addressed during the surgical procedure. In general light acitivity can commence at 2-3 weeks with unrestricted activity at 6 weeks.

Rest does not help after liposuction.

+1

Hi.

After doing liposuction in New York City, we tell our patients to listen to their body, and not do anything that is uncomfortable. The exact timing of course depends on what areas are treated.

Exercise after liposuction.

+1

It is best to wait at least 3-4 weeks after liposuction for strenuous activity. Discuss this with your surgeon since he will know how extensive your liposuction will be.