Best Positions For Sitting and Sleeping After Tummy Tuck Surgery? (photo)

what are the best way's to sit and watch TV and what about laying down to sleep . I have NEVER had any kind of surgery in my life and i really dont know what to do and i'm starting to freak out with only 14 days to my tummy tuck but i have lost 104 lbs and really need to fix all this

Recovery after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your weight loss.

One good position to sleep and sit after tummy tuck surgery is to recline in the "beach chair" posiiton with one or two pillows behind your head and one or two pillows behind your knees.

Try sleeping in a recliner...

It’s important for abdominoplasty patients to keep their abdomen flexed for one to two weeks following surgery.This avoids tension on the wound closure and minimizes the potential for wound breakdown and spread of the scar. Therefore we generally recommend that patients sit and sleep in a recliner chair with their knees and hips flexed for one to two weeks following abdominoplasty. Although patients may stay flexed while sleeping on their sides they sometimes turn and extend their backs reflexedly. This doesn’t happen in a recliner chair.
No two patients are the same and for this reason it’s important to individualize post-operative care. If you’re concerned about this issue, it’s important to discuss post-operative care with your surgeon.

Best position after a tummy tuck

Buffyduck;

Thank you for your question and photo. First of all, congratulations on your tremendous weight loss! I'm sure that you already feel much better and have improved your self-image which should only get better after your surgery. The best position after a tummy tuck is a reclining chair position.  This allows you to be flexed at your waist and this type of chair will also help you get up by using you arms which can be very hard to do in a complete recumbent position. Remember that it is important to get up frequently to walk around after surgery and make sure that you move your feet and legs often while in the chair. Best of luck with your surgery.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Reclining after tummy tuck

Dear Buffyduck,

The best postition to sit and even sleep in after a tummy tuck is the reclined position.  It will minimize the tension on your scar while your newly stretched skin relaxes over the days following surgery.  Be sure to get up and walk several times a day and exercise your ankles and feet while reclining to prevent blood clots from developing in your legs.  Good luck!

Beach Chair Position is Best During Tummy Tuck Recovery

Hi there-

Your best bet is to simulate the position you would be in if you were reclined in a beach chair. This diminishes the tension on your abdominal repair and skin closure, and should be more comfortable for you.

Sleep position after tummy tuck

I generally recommend that patients sleep up on pillows for back support, lying on their backs and that, during the day, they rest in a recliner or elevated with a back rest on their beds.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Great weight loss

It is best to sleep with the back elevated about 60 degrees to take the pressure off of the incision.  A lounge chair is great.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Best way to sit after a tummy tuck

Hello!, very common question. Unfortunately it will be uncomfortable all around.  Lying on your stomach is out, of course!.  Lying on one side or another with knees bent is OK but will swell on theside that is touching the bed. Lying reclined in a bed or recliner is best!

Good Luck

Sitting and Sleeping after Tummy Tuck Surgery?

Many patients feel most comfortable sitting or sleeping on a recliner or bed  after tummy tuck surgery. The use of pillows beneath the knees and back will be helpful. You want to stay flexed/bent  at the waist to take attention off the lower abdominal wall incision line.

Sleeping position after tummy tuck

For the first 2-3 days, put pillows under your head and knees when lying down, keeping a bend at the waist to avoid pulling on your incisions. You should also sleep on your side in a fetal position, and avoid standing straight up or sitting straight up.