Can I Do Sit Ups One Month Post-op Breast Augmentation?

Although I do allow some exercises to start by about 3 weeks after surgery, I am always working to do protected motion exercises from 3 to 6 weeks after breast augmentation.  After 6 weeks i am generally very comfortable with all exercises.  Each surgeon is a bit different so make sure you check with your surgeon as well.

6 weeks

I usually recommend that patients wait 3 weeks before beginning aerobic and lower body weight training and 6 weeks before lifting anything. You may want to wait a couple more weeks before doing sit-ups. Please see your surgeon for their advice.

Situp post breast augmentation

Each surgeon has his or her guidelines for postoperative care. Generally, you can begin light activity 5 to 7 days post surgery. More strenuous activity can begin as soon as 3 to 6 weeks depending on how you are healing. Consult with your surgeon and follow his or her instruction as he or she knows the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Yes you can

in 1 month, the implant pockets should start to form, and internal healing should be well established. I see no reason why you can't do sit ups.

Adil Ceydeli, MD
Panama City Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after breast surgery

In general at one month after an augmentation a patient should be able to start exercising. But everyone is different and recuperates differently so get your surgeon's OK that you are OK to go. I tell my patients that when they are comfortable doing something, it's probably OK to do it or, if it hurts, don't.

Exercise after breast augmentation

Could you do sit ups before?

By four weeks after surgery the pockets are mature and you should have no restrictions on activity.

Sit ups 1 month post op Breast Augmentation

Generally, I allow my patients to do sit ups 1 month out from surgery but every patient is different in their recovery and so it is best to speak with your surgeon to make sure you are cleared to exercise.

Sit ups after BA

Usually, for our patients, the vast majority have a smooth recovery, and can be back at the gym, doing sit-ups, at 3 weeks post-op (if they are so inclined!).  You won't hurt anything at this stage, given normal, uncomplicated healing.

Situps after breast implants

Most women should be able to start doing sit-ups one month after having breast augmentations however, you should confirm that with your plastic surgeon before you start doing any kind of vigorous activity.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Sit-ups can be done 3 - 4 weeks after a breast augmentation

You should ask your surgeon what his/her recommendation is regarding doing sit-ups as he/she was the one (or will be the one) who operated on you. The recommendation that I provide my patients is to wait at least until 3 weeks after surgery. This will help minimize the risk of such complications as bleeding and the subsequent formation of a hematoma which often requires surgery to evacuate and does also increase the risk of the formation of capsular contracture (hardness developing around the implant).

Steven Turkeltaub, MD