Are Sinus Problems a Possibility After Having Dental Implants Installed?

Will I feel the pain of a sinus infection? If so, what can be done to resolve it long-term?  What medications help?

Sinus Infections are Rare After Dental Implants

+2

Upper posterior teeth approximate the maxillary sinus very often.  When the teeth are lost the sinuses sometimes enlarge (pneumotize) and/or the bone where the teeth used to be resorbs which in turn then leaves only a thin layer of bone beween the oth and the sinus.  If implants are to be placed in theses areas a sinus lift bone graft needs to be performed to make sure there is enough bone to secure a dental implant.  This involves manipulating the linig of the sinus and packing bone beneath it.  This willl prevent the dental implant from sicking up into the sinus .  A sinus infection is a rare occurance with this procedure, but it does happen .  If a dental implant is placed in the area without adequate bone and the implant is "sicking up" inside the air cavity of the sinus, a sinus infection may develop, but even on these cases it is rare,  The take home message is: sinus infections can occur, but they are rare.  IF they deelop they are easily resolved with proper treatment and care.

Phoenix Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Sinus infections from Dental Implants?

+1

Because the sinus is above your upper posterior teeth, this is the only place that could be related where an implant can come into contact with the sinus. If you need a dental implant to replace a single tooth or multiple teeth in the posterior part of your mouth, you will want to understand the relationship between your existing bone and your maxillary sinus. The only way to do this is to have a 3 dimensional representation of your jaw structure by having a ct scan so you know if this is something you should be concerned about. In my practice where I am treating th ebardest cases with no teeth and minimal bone, I place Zygomatic implants to anchor permanent teeth. In this case, the implant can be 50 mm long and traverses the sinus multiple times. This implant is as successful as any standard dental implant! A sinus infection is a very rare occurrence!

Bernard Ian Krupp, DDS
Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Implants and sinus infections

+1

It is rare that a dental implant can cause a sinus infection. I suppose if you never get sinus infections and then one day you get an upper back implant put in, and all of a sudden you now start to get constant sinus infections, and an Xray shows the implant has penetrated the sinus floor; this would be a cause and effect from an implant. You would have the implant removed if an ENT doctor feels this is the cause, without a doubt.

I have seen many cases where the implant has poked through the floor of the sinus because the patient does  not have enough bone because they waited to long after the tooth was pulled before finally doing the implant.  EVen in this case, I have not seen sinus infections as a result of this.

Mitchell A. Josephs, DDS
Palm Beach Cosmetic Dentist